Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple living - what's your incentive?

I have spent an inordinate amount of time "in my head", thinking about my life path. What I finally realized is that the person I'm trying to be is sixty years old and six, at the same time. The "sixty" part is about becoming both wiser and gentler.

The "six" part ... I look back on my early childhood with wonder. My "personals" consisted of a toothbrush. I shared toothpaste and a comb with my mother, shampoo and soap with my father. Thus ends the list of Personal Products. Amazingly, I liked myself just fine and never gave my appearance a thought, with nothing but a toothbrush. My other possessions were equally streamlined. My day consisted of a series of interesting activities that brought me satisfaction and new knowledge, I didn't really distinguish (school)work and play, all of it was just "my life". I remember feeling extremely competent and connected to myself and my life, and I don't remember having any of the mental burdens I seem to have acquired along the way.

I don't mind the complexity and responsibility of being an adult, but I long for that sense of ... simple sturdiness. I also believe that living as if I were six, in a manner of speaking, is a much less environmentally impactive life. It's an inside-out focus, in other words not-consuming is a way I once was that made me happy and so I do it now, but the outcome is the same as a focus that deals with limits for the benefit of the environment: less consumption.

I don't know if this would be incentive, strictly speaking, but I am now doing my best to operate with the open, positive attitude and determination I had when I was six, and to think about that before I act. "When I was six I had a toothbrush, and I was happy. Will a 25 piece "beauty kit" from Clinique actually improve my life now?"
    Last edited by kib; 10-19-14 at 1:41pm.

kib, your post made me chuckle. I saw some friends today with a new kid and the kid was in some kind of a seat thing that rocked. Made me think about being old and young at the same time; rocking, lack of teeth and hair, grouchy and not making a lot of sense to people.

I never lived simple in my twenties or early thirties but became disabled and could not work so I started implementing simple living in every way that I could even though my husband makes a very great salary living in first central NJ and now northwest NJ the money goes fast. Especially for the five drugs I am on. I love being simple, we have moved . Into a new home two years and have not yet put our raised garden in and our clothes line either. I am excited about both and hope it will be this coming summer. I also enjoy doing all that I can to support. Our environment.

Please excuse the grammar and punctuation. My Kindle changes . Things on me....

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    I have spent an inordinate amount of time "in my head", thinking about my life path. What I finally realized is that the person I'm trying to be is sixty years old and six, at the same time. The "sixty" part is about becoming both wiser and gentler.

The "six" part ... I look back on my early childhood with wonder. My "personals" consisted of a toothbrush. I shared toothpaste and a comb with my mother, shampoo and soap with my father. Thus ends the list of Personal Products. Amazingly, I liked myself just fine and never gave my appearance a thought, with nothing but a toothbrush. My other possessions were equally streamlined. My day consisted of a series of interesting activities that brought me satisfaction and new knowledge, I didn't really distinguish (school)work and play, all of it was just "my life". I remember feeling extremely competent and connected to myself and my life, and I don't remember having any of the mental burdens I seem to have acquired along the way.

I don't mind the complexity and responsibility of being an adult, but I long for that sense of ... simple sturdiness. I also believe that living as if I were six, in a manner of speaking, is a much less environmentally impactive life. It's an inside-out focus, in other words not-consuming is a way I once was that made me happy and so I do it now, but the outcome is the same as a focus that deals with limits for the benefit of the environment: less consumption.

I don't know if this would be incentive, strictly speaking, but I am now doing my best to operate with the open, positive attitude and determination I had when I was six, and to think about that before I act. "When I was six I had a toothbrush, and I was happy. Will a 25 piece "beauty kit" from Clinique actually improve my life now?"
    Hey KIB, chuck the 25 piece beauty kit (or save it for special "adult dress up" occasions), and join me on The Dark Side where I spend most of my time channeling my inner 12 year old boy. Throw on some clothes (and no need for fashionable stuff) and go out and play without a care in the world for what other's think of you or what you look like or what you do. Play in the dirt (it washes off) eat a few bug (OK don't really), and forget about what society tells you that you need to be happy. Society is wrong generally - so is Clinque :-)!

Quote Originally Posted by Tussiemussies View Post
    I never lived simple in my twenties or early thirties but became disabled and could not work so I started implementing simple living in every way that I could even though my husband makes a very great salary living in first central NJ and now northwest NJ the money goes fast. Especially for the five drugs I am on. I love being simple, we have moved . Into a new home two years and have not yet put our raised garden in and our clothes line either. I am excited about both and hope it will be this coming summer. I also enjoy doing all that I can to support. Our environment.

Please excuse the grammar and punctuation. My Kindle changes . Things on me....
    AH! That explains your post about acclimating to winter temperatures.

Living simply for most of my life has meant an early retirement and freedom for me! And most importantly - no debt, no stress, and lots of time to spend with family, pets, gardening, cooking, and volunteering in animal rescue!

Thank you all for responding with such inspirational comments. I am finding with simple living I suffer with much less anxiety by not worrying about future finances so much. By being more self sufficient I feel I am more in control of my life and surroundings. I am much more content and satisfied with my life and "my lot". I now look forward to every day, I remember not too long ago I used to dread waking up in the mornings.

Thank you for helping me along on this very interesting journey!

I am happier with things simplified. I don't like clutter but I do like things that are well-made and last for a long time. I don't like crowds and am very happy with small groups of family or friends. Because of our simple living we have a paid for house on 4 acres. We have a solid retirement account. I have been frugal for so long that it is just part of who I am. I don't worry about money or what other people think. What's not to like about that?? LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    Hey KIB, chuck the 25 piece beauty kit (or save it for special "adult dress up" occasions), and join me on The Dark Side where I spend most of my time channeling my inner 12 year old boy. Throw on some clothes (and no need for fashionable stuff) and go out and play without a care in the world for what other's think of you or what you look like or what you do. Play in the dirt (it washes off) eat a few bug (OK don't really), and forget about what society tells you that you need to be happy. Society is wrong generally - so is Clinque :-)!
    I can highly recommend having friends who are crazy enough to go to a playground (at night, so we don't scare the kids away). (Okay, once someone threatened to call the police because people in their mid-twenties sitting on swings laughing their asses off obviously MUST have a drug problem.)

@Topic:
    I started simplifying because our home is small (40 square meters/430 square feet for two persons). This makes it look cluttered very fast.
    My desk is in the bedroom, so I see it when I wake up, and wouldn't want to see clutter.
    Our kitchen is one part of the living room, so when I don't wash the dishes after eating, they'll sit there and I see them all the time.
    I literally have no place to pile up things and not see them all the time. This forces me to keep things clean, and that's easier when there aren't so many things.

David, Thank you for posing this question. I'm newly returned to SL forums and I enjoyed reading all of the responses to your query.

I grew up with two parents who lived frugally out of necessity and because they'd survived the Great Depression in poverty and were forced to conserve, re-use, and stretch the proverbial and literal dollar. They had acquired many skills for living simply and they passed both the consciousness and skills on to me. I am forever grateful for that. I have always been a "cheap date" in that my biggest pleasure is sitting with a friend over a cup of tea, having a good conversation . . . or watching birds hunt for bugs in my backyard or . . .

The saying "Live simply, so others may simply live." is an ongoing motivator to me. I have a Ugandan friend who visits me every couple of years and I'm reminded of how luxurious my relatively modest (according to American standards) life is (by Ugandan standards).

Still, simple living is a process . . . I have a long ways to go on that path. I enjoy my things even though I acquire most of them second-hand and they are mostly books, LPs, clothes and basic furnishings and decorations. I love shopping at my local thrift store on its half-off day and buying stuff I don't really need just because it's such an incredible bargain. That's my "cheap thrills" form of consumerism. I justify it by telling myself that I pass on most of the objects and that the thrift store supports a food pantry . . .

Lastly, I also love the challenge of making my tube of toothpaste last a few days longer, my funds last through the month with some left to save or donate, my hybrid get higher MPG, etc. What was an imperative for my grandparents and parents has become fun for me. And does have me leave a slightly smaller footprint on the planet.

Good luck in your simple living journey!

Thread Information