Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple living - what's your incentive?

Quote Originally Posted by Davidwd View Post
    Thanks for the reply - that is really inspirational, I am going to borrow a couple of your incentives, definitely the fitness one and the cycling and transportation one. In fact all of them eventually!

David
    That's wonderful. Thanks David. I realized a few more incentives. I like being able to study things that interest me. I think it's really healthy to develop your inner talents. For me, that means taking an on line course in sight singing, and going to a first class vocal coach in Hollywood. I need that sort of artistic outlet.

I also enjoy rescuing abused animals. Having a small house with a large yard has enabled me to adopt dogs, a pot bellied pig, and chickens. I couldn't do this when I lived in a apt.

Spiritual practice is something else that I value. Living this way gives me the time to do yoga each evening. I feel much calmer and more peaceful when I meditate and do my spiritual work...

I like SiouzQ incentive -- doing it on my terms and not working for weasels in the rat race. Life is much more satisfying in a simpler form without all the consumerism demands to keep up with those who can't the lifestyles they've built.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    We lived way below our means during our working years so we were used to spending little. Consciously living simply enables us to live life on our terms. I wear what I want, eat what I want when I want to, sleep when and for as long or short as I want.
    While that sounds selfish, it is in fact the opposite. I am able to feel relaxed and do my artwork, most of which I give away or sell for charity. I cook extensively a mainly plant based diet, and support our local farmers as much as I can. I don't pollute the air, or add lots of trash destined for the landfill. I have created extensive flower gardens full of butterflies and hummingbirds people tell me they purposely walk or drive by my house to see what is blooming. If our last remaining parent needs something, or help is needed with the grandkids, I can go at almost an instants notice.

I also can can devote as much time as I want to my charitable work. That fills my spiritual needs. I work with a group that raises money for scholarships for high schoolers, money for books and computers for the school library, and a third that helps with big art purchases for the high school, like wheels and a kiln.
    I also volunteer at the local library.

My my life is better than I ever imagined it could be because we are not chained to desks to buy junk, eat crappy food, drive cars, buy more clothes etc.

My incentive for simple living is that I enjoy living this way! I get a lot of pleasure from taking abandoned objects and rescuing them, bringing them back to life, and using them in the world again. For example, I don't mind paying a good local seamstress or cobbler to resurrect a good wool coat or a quality handbag, instead of it just going onto the landfill. Likewise, I don't mind taking certain cheap, modern, second-hand clothes and investing in strengthening them so they can last for a long time, instead of just falling apart right away. I like having a story about everything I have, and knowing why I bought it and why I still have it. (This took a LONG time to develop, as I used to just shop indiscriminately and with no thought or care about finances, the environment, simplicity, clutter, life energy, or anything at all, for that matter!)

Living more simply just gives me more pleasure, satisfaction, and mental freedom than living with clutter, debt, waste, and no financial security. It also means we can "afford" to work less, which is a HUGE incentive for me--I really cannot handle full time work, so for health reasons I need to have a lifestyle that is easy to maintain on part-time or 3/4 time work, max.

Oh yes, and the food tastes a lot better when we cook at home!

flowerseverywhere, I love your lifestyle. I love the way you explain that looking after your own needs frees you to serve your family and community. Brilliant.

I really like mastering hard, long-term goals, and simple living is that for me, one that fits my values. I learn all the time from doing it.
    I think deep in our hearts we know that our comforts, our conveniences are at the expense of other people. Grace Lee Boggs

Well, I want to save the world, so that's a pretty big incentive.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Freedom. How I went for so many years without realizing that I always have a choice in this life (even of the choices are not always the best) is a mystery to me but the incentive of freedom in a simpler life is my main motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by larknm View Post
    I really like mastering hard, long-term goals ....
    Interesting, larknm. I'm watching some of my co-workers teach their middle school and high school children this same lesson. One of them actually forbids the word "can't" in his house when they're trying to do their homework.

Not everything comes quickly and easily, nor should it.

I think my simple living incentives can be divided into two basic groups. One is personal and one is more global.

There are people I know who have jobs that are both personally and socially redeeming. Doctors, environmentalists, farmers (especially organic), and so on. Some people in those jobs, who can tolerate or ignore the bureaucracy, seem to have no incentive to escape the typical work environment and sketchy retirement plans. Most of us, including me, end up working for The Man. I believe there is an intrinsic value to work, but have found through simple living and good money management I can work basically for myself and can divide my time between personal enrichment and health lifestyle, more time with friends and family, and volunteer work that is more globally or socially rewarding.

My second incentive for simple living is more environmental. I believe consumption, especially for us in the tradition western life style, is intrinsically related to habitat loss, climate change, toxic pollution, and an ever diminishing loss of connection to the natural world. I know that my little efforts are not going to save the world, but feel like setting an example of how a person can live frugally and have a rewarding life might just nudge things along. Plus, it just seems like the right thing to do.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Thread Information