Thread: Unfair charge.....who to tell?

Unfair charge.....who to tell?

Awhile back I ordered a case for my new iphone. There were a few weird charges along the way and I corresponded with someone in the U.S. What I didn't know when I ordered it, is that it was a company in Korea, with a warehouse in the U.S. The funky initial charges were because of the way Korea had to figure out the exchange rate. A person in the U.S. told me it would all come out properly in the end, on my VISA. We corresponded several times, and it all seemed legit.

Well, they eventually charged me a few dollars more than the initial bill was for. I've written to this person in N.Y., and he asked if I would accept a money order for the over-charge, in stead of crediting my VISA. I said that would be fine. But I never received it. I emailed him again, stating that even though it's a small amount, my concerns were that this company might be doing this to all it's customers, and making quite a profit. It's been a couple weeks, and I haven't heard back.
    I will write him one more time, telling him that I will inform so and so about this. Now.........who do I inform?
    Thanks.

Couple Weeks? I say give 'em more time. Those big companies can take their sweet time making disbursements, especially refunds. It pays off, when you add it up. With one outfit, I am waiting on an $8 refund, and was advised that it will take up to 6 weeks. I worked for a number of companies, small shops, that paid every week, for the weekdays immediately prior, payday on Friday or a day or two later. But then, I worked for an outfit(sole proprietor, btw) that paid every two weeks, on the Friday a week after those work weeks. "Well, see--we have to do payroll for a 100 people, and that takes time" So, the guy always owed you one or two weeks pay, for as long as you worked there! He was never caught up, not for even a day, until you finally quit. At the same time, the products the company made were C.O.D. , or even in advance for special orders! See how that works?

But the guy could have sent me an email, stating that it would take a certain amount of time. I haven't even heard back from him since then. I just wanted to get on top of this soon, if he's not going ahead with the money order. I don't want to wait to complain to someone official, for almost 2 months after the last email from the company.

I'd contact Visa myself. Shady.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

It is probably too late but I would have been on with the CC company, disputing the amount.
    It is a fairly common thing (especially with Ebay), to try to get one to accept payment some other way, or drop the dispute first, and then we will send payment, which really means (your not getting your money back and we don't want negative feedback against us).
    By accepting the other payment option, you fell for it.

You also can contact the Attorney General for the state in which the company is doing business (NY in this case). Or write/email the company again and cc the AG. I've had to do that twice here in Minnesota and was pleasantly surprised at the AG level of engagement each time.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thanks everyone.
    I'll give the business about another week, then email them again. Then, if I don't hear within another week, I'll collect my past emails to them (and their responses) and send it to the Attorney General.
    Like I said......it's only about $2.00 more (which was still a good deal).........but if they're doing this to every customer..............It's just not right.

Thread Information