Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: interior dog door

As long as this thread is up... does anyone have a dog door that goes through the wall? We'll need one in our new house. Thanks!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

We had a dogdoor that went through a wall in a previous house when we lived in upstate NY. No problems, it was great. To us the worst would be to live without a dogdoor--for the dogs' sake and our own. We had that house built, so it was just put in from the start--because our human-use door was glass.
    I think deep in our hearts we know that our comforts, our conveniences are at the expense of other people. Grace Lee Boggs

TxZen
    I have a dog door through the wall outside for a 140 lb dog. It works great. We insulated it really well and I just re-caulked it yesterday. We add pavers on the outside to cut down on dirt and grass coming in.

GreenMama, how did you insulate your dog door? Ours to the outdoors lets in lots of cold. We've tried various cold-blocking methods, none of which helped much.
    I think deep in our hearts we know that our comforts, our conveniences are at the expense of other people. Grace Lee Boggs

TxZen
    Our door has a double swinging door on it, so that helps a bit. It's the thicker flexible plastic. The guy at Lowe's suggest adding the swelling spray foam or just tucking insulation in between the wood. We also add a draft stopper at the bottom, which I was once a week. We are eventually going to build a sort of frame on the outside of the house...about 12 inches wide around the door with a step. Someone has one and she says is deflects the wind and rain and cuts down on drafts. I hope that helps.

Yes, I'm concerned about drafts too. We have small (12-15 pound) dogs who apparently have delicate noses. They wouldn't use the dog door till we covered the plastic in soft fabric. (I think the plastic hurt their little noses.)
    I want to do something artistic with the molding around the dog door - maybe cut down a fancy picture frame to go around it or something.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Thanks, GreenMama--good ideas.

Thread Information