Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: scary and exciting all at once: a new(er) car after 16 years

Congrats BDL! I also got a new small SUV recently - 2014 4 cylinder Dodge Journey for $15k new -and love it. Replaced my 14 year old gas guzzling Ford Ranger truck - which I still own but keep it at home in driveway when travelling (like now) so it looks like someone is there. I plan to keep this car for 10 plus years to. It doesn't very good gas mileage for a 4 cylinder but better than the truck and has enough broom to sleep in when I camp. Will off set the fuel costs by riding my bike as often as possible. Like you, I wondered if I was doing the right thing but ended up being a great choice for me.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I am still sitting on the fence about buying my "retirement" forever car so I understand the anxiety. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my 19 year old Volvo - it just keeps rolling. But as dd says, it looks like a "ghetto" car which is beginning to bother me. Every time I think about all the costs of buying a newer car - insurance, worrying about dings, etc. I back down. Looking at a Subaru Forester but they seem so expensive for what they are...
    What makes it look like a ghetto car? (if paint, do a google search for rolled on paint jobs)

Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    It doesn't very good gas mileage for a 4 cylinder but better than the truck and has enough broom to sleep in when I camp. Will off set the fuel costs by riding my bike as often as possible. Like you, I wondered if I was doing the right thing but ended up being a great choice for me.
    Did you just refer to yourself as a witch? (broom)

I've got a 20 year old truck that I should sell. (has 130K on the body, 80K on the motor) Could get out of it, what I paid for and initially put into it ( $1k), just can't get passed the having a paid for, dependable emergency vehicle yet. (also kind of emotionally attached from rebuilding it) I know the fear about, did I just buy a lemon. Barring that, that will subside.

Congratulations on the new car! I hope it works out well for you. I've owned five used cars in my lifetime. Each one has been great. I miss the days when I could buy a used Volkswagon Rabbit for $1,000. and drive it all over creation for ten years! Fortunately, my bus pass and bicycle are serving me well here in suburbia...

Sounds like a great choice - long may you run!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    Sounds like a great choice - long may you run!
    Do I detect a Neil Young fan?
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Thanks for all the good wishes. Anyway whew! it's done. We finalized today and she's ours, hopefully for the next 15 years!

I'm hoping instinct will cover us - every other vehicle we've ever purchased (all used) we've just "this one is fine, it'll work for us, the price is right".....we never put a lot of thought into a new(er) vehicle. Of course, all that was before internet research and reviews and such. But we mostly always got lucky: vehicles that did indeed turn out to be worth the purchase price. Let's hope our instinct holds out in this case. I feel really good about the vehicle, and the price, and the warranty - so it bodes well.

We're still laughing at ourselves about the 2-week process of deciding. We had the "above the line" budget where we should stay (I typed it all out for DH so he could see just how much money there was, from where, and what we could spend and what amount we couldn't go beyond) and then the "below the line" budget where we COULD but probably SHOULDN'T. So of course we're both focusing on the below-the-line figure, and looking at (1) a brand new vehicle, and (2) a tricked-out used one with leather seats and full nav touchscreen and only 12K miles.....

And I was feverishly researching them, and DH was shutting down on the conversations, and I realized that we were both sick to our stomachs, not about buying a newer vehicle, but about the dollar amount we were thinking of investing in the decision. Once we downgraded our expectations (higher mileage, less bells and whistles, and most importantly within our original budget) we both calmed down and were okay with the whole thing.

Road trip tomorrow - to get to know her better!

Thread Information