Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We're moving

Wow! Very exciting! I understand the bittersweet feelings about leaving the past behind, but you have so much fun stuff to look forward to--including early retirement!!! Congratulations!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Sounds like everyone is jumping in! Good luck with the move -- lots of opportunities will present themselves!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Gardenarian, how wonderful! Good luck with the move. How much decluttering are you going to do beforehand?

So glad to hear your daughter is OK with this. And good luck on your earlier retirement, too!

Awakenedsoul - the most aggravating noise is from the airport. There has been an immense increase in flights (this is nationwide, not just here) and also the flight pattern has been altered so planes fly continually over our house from 6am-midnight, with occasional planes waking us at 3-4 am. I can not express how maddening this is. I have worked on committees for the past several years to address the noise, but you really can't fight the FAA.

Sad eyed lady - thanks for your vote of confidence! It is much appreciated.

Lainey - I do hope I get less crazy after we are settled in. I'm very jittery right now.

Razz - climbing Mt. Everest indeed! I'm so caught up in the details that it is hard sometimes to see the big picture - the wonderful opportunities that are the reason we are moving.

Iris lilies - We have put off even considering moving because of dd. But many of her closest friends went off to college this year, some have gone on to other schools, and her very best friend moved about 20 miles away. It's definitely a tough time for her, but I'm trying to model "when one door closes, another one opens." It's impossible to predict how things will go for her - but having a rough patch at 15yo is not exactly abnormal. Not easy, but - just life.

Rosarugosa - thanks! speaking of roses, I was surprised that all of the roses I saw in Oregon looked very shabby - it is supposed to be prime territory for them. I guess I'll learn more when I get there.

Float On - I heaved a big sigh of relief when I read your post! We have been mostly unschooling, so I have no idea how dd will do at school. Glad to hear that you had a smooth transition - I have heard this from other homeschoolers, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! She is excited about meeting so many new people. There are around 1000 kids at the high school, so she's sure to find her niche (I think.)

CathyA - thanks for your good wishes. We have found a lovely house, but we are still looking around. I will definitely post when we have settled on our new home!

Spartana - Yes, it is one of those cute little Victorians near the downtown, on a quiet street. I'm looking forward to the change of seasons. I haven't done any skiing in ages and am excited to take it up again. Yes, will miss the beach - but not the traffic, for sure. I've been saying for several years that I would retire - I'm glad this pushed me to go for it! And it turns out my pension is higher than I thought it would be

Catherine - bittersweet is just how it feels. I heard the song "The House that Built Me" the other day and just about collapsed in tears. I know it is the right move, I know it - but change is hard. Change is life, but still, hard.

Steve - thanks for the luck - I'm feeling like I'll need plenty!

Tradd - we had a garage sale a couple of weeks ago and all the leftovers went to Salvation Army. We are planning on moving very little; in fact, we are asking the owners if they will include some furnishings so we have less to move. I still have far more books than I need, dd will need to whittle down her art supplies, and dh is busy getting rid of his airplane model collection on Ebay. We hope to bring only essentials.

I'm really hoping this will be a life simplifying move. I am spending too much life energy on things that don't pay back - and so are dd and dh. It feels like something of a gamble, and I hope we have no regrets. It's hard to pull up roots, but sometimes re-potting is just what a plant needs to thrive.
    Last edited by Gardenarian; 9-4-14 at 2:27pm.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

I'm really hoping this will be a life simplifying move. I am spending too much life energy on things that don't pay back - and so are dd and dh. It feels like something of a gamble, and I hope we have no regrets. It's hard to pull up roots, but sometimes re-potting is just what a plant needs to thrive.
    That is just too lovely a thought Gardenarian. Made me smile. Wishing you all the best with your exciting life changes.

Your daughter is old enough at 15 to take on a couple of the responsibilities for the move. It will probably help with her own transition to feel she has some control and say the situation.

You have a lot happening at once. Remember that nothing (well, almost nothing) is irrevocable. And enjoy your retirement!

Lovely analogy about the plant. I am the teeniest bit jealous of your move. Sounds like a big adventure. Keep coming back here as you need grounding and good vibes.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Starting over with a fresh clean slate is great news! How exciting for you.

When my parents and I made the move from a very congested part of NJ to a rural area of the state, I never thought that the only thing I'd miss was our main library in town.

The bit of OR I've seen was beautiful. Lots of outdoorsy stuff to do.

Gardenarian, I admire you and your family for making this move--too often DH and I wish we could do that--not the energy or money to do it these days, but I get a vicarious thrill from identifying with those of you who can.
    I think deep in our hearts we know that our comforts, our conveniences are at the expense of other people. Grace Lee Boggs

Thread Information