Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Now this is really interesting.....

I've been here since the late '90s sometime and I've had two incarnations since then. Time flies ... (... like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana -- sorry, couldn't help myself ...) Anyway, I posted a lot in the "olden days" beause I had a lot to learn. I still have a lot to learn, but I don't feel much inclination to post mostly because I don't think I have any "words of wisdom" or interesting comments anymore. However, I enjoy reading so I check in several times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Great wisdom can be quoted,
    But should be properly attributed.

-Tao Te Ching
    "A deep understanding of reality is the same thing as laziness." "Have you ever seen a statue of the Buddha jogging?"

- Dibert comic strip :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    "A deep understanding of reality is the same thing as laziness." "Have you ever seen a statue of the Buddha jogging?"

- Dibert comic strip :-)
    "It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?" ~Ronald Reagan

"Every time I feel the urge to exercise, I lie down until it goes away!” ~ Mark Twain.
    moo

"I'm like a haiku. Sometimes I don't make much sense. Refrigerator." ~ Alan
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Tenngal View Post
    there are many times I do not give my opinion because I know what the response will be, and the ones who will be slamming me. It is predictable and at times seems mean-spirited. You correct in that this is why we have this board, to discuss matters. I will do better.
    hi Tenngal, that sounds really uncomfortable and unpleasant. So perhaps it might help you 'do better' to understand that
    no one is slamming 'you'. They are slamming the image in their own head, the image they have of what you posted.
    http://www.humanecology.com.au/
    "It's about a way of being."

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    I've been here since the late '90s sometime and I've had two incarnations since then. Time flies ... (... like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana -- sorry, couldn't help myself ...) Anyway, I posted a lot in the "olden days" beause I had a lot to learn. I still have a lot to learn, but I don't feel much inclination to post mostly because I don't think I have any "words of wisdom" or interesting comments anymore. However, I enjoy reading so I check in several times a day.
    Hi Serendipity, yes I understand. But actually none of us knows. Since there are so many quotes in this thread from the Tao let's take another one:
    It's not what is added , but what is taken away.

Beyond knowing that 'I exist' I know nothing (at the metaphysical level) so it's more a process of loosing prejudices, bad (mental) habits, conditionings, distorted memories (and all memories are untrustworthy), represssed tendencies .... and so on. This 'loosing' of course feels very uncomfortable to the ego ... which squirms and argues and tried to justify & rationalise ... but once you get used to that it becomes quite liberating.
    And how subtle and deep it all runs: a few weeks ago I caught myself being a 'know all'. What a shock as I thought I'd really dealt long ago with the father not giving approval issue. As he was scholarly I tried to get his approval by learning ... all the way to the first degree. Thought it was dealt with. What I discovered was that in my youthful drive to gain approval I formed a habit ... a habit of trying to know enough and while the issue as such was dealt with the habit remained ...so there I was still trying to show how much I knew - not to the person I was talking with - but to my long-dead father!

So it's all about loosing stuff ... subtracting...there is nothing to add ... we are already THAT! but we can't recognise it because the ego consciousness is like the clouds which hide the sun.
    http://www.humanecology.com.au/
    "It's about a way of being."

Quote Originally Posted by nithig View Post
    Beyond knowing that 'I exist' I know nothing (at the metaphysical level) ...
    But even "I exist" is questionable. There are good odds that you are simply an autonomous subroutine in some grad student's computer simulation. (See Bostrom's paper "Are You Living in a Computer Simulation?", Philosophical Quarterly (2003), Vol. 53, No. 211, pp. 243-255)

Well, that would certainly explain all the empty Red Bull cans lying around.

"And are there biscuits in computer simulations?" -pug logic

For those who find the print in the cartoon too small to easily read:

In the bubble: "Darling... I know we have just recently met and I know you have some issues with my being a millionairess, but you're the most amazing man I've ever known... marry me?"

The caption: It was at that precise moment Stanley realized that he may very well be a brain in a vat.
    Last edited by Gina; 3-23-11 at 7:15pm.
    moo

Thread Information