Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: the smart phone conundrum

Quote Originally Posted by awakenedsoul View Post
    I love my Jitterbug. It's really easy to use, and the numbers are easy to read. It's affordable, too.
    I wish the Jitterbug phone, was available for other networks.

We've been happy with Republic Wireless. I have a Moto X, and my daughter has a Moto G, and our monthly bill for both comes out to be around $24 a month once the taxes and fees are figured in. The service has worked fine with our wifi network. If you only use Wifi, they have a $5 a month plan. $10 a month buys you unlimited talk and text, but all your data usage is over wifi. $25 a month is talk, text, and data.

Their plan does rest on everyone using wifi when they can. If you are constantly streaming music or movies over the cellular connection, instead of wifi, it defeats their business model. They discourage it, and they do throttle your download speed if you exceed a certain amount of data a month. (We never come close, so I don't know what it is). If you don't have wifi at home and at work, it might not be the best service for you.

Mom and I are on a plan with Consumer Cellular with the AARP discount. It uses the AT&T towers, so coverage is basically the same. If you don't think you will use much data, you can get in with $5/mo for adding data, and go up if you need it, checking their webpage to see how much you have used. That gives you more texts than you will probably need even at the lowest level of data. Not a great plan if you use a lot of data, but nice if you just want texting and to have it there if/when you need it. I monitor our usage (and get text alerts if we get near the limits I have set) so I can keep the voice and data plans at the cheapest and only go up on months we use one or the other more and need a more expensive level. My AT&T phones work with no issues (off contract before I switched).

I'm happy with Consumer Cellular.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

rodeosweetheart
    I think you have to think through why you want the Smartphone. I got one last year so that I could access my classes while traveling (I teach online) and it never worked well for that; even a tablet would have had limited functionality. The day that I was driving my husband to the ER while he was undergoing anaphylaxis did it for me--I realized it probably wasn't charged and there was no way I could deal with dialing it and working it while undergoing an actual emergency, which is why I had purchased it, to have while driving with emergencies.

So I went to the old Jitterbug--they do have a Smartphone, too, but I went back to the old flip phone and now have access to emergency services for car or me or for my husband if he is injured again. It is the phone I got my dad for safety reasons and they have many features for folks have physical concerns. I like being able to access a live operator--probably would have done it the day in the car with husband going to ER, to get him help quicker, but it all turned out fine.

Ironically, it is more expensive than my Virgin pay by month iphone plan, which was a great plan--got it at RadioShack.

If it weren't for the health concerns, would just get a Tracfone. I like saving money, and dislike talking on the phone.

i love my flip-phone. i think i will only have a smartphone if the carriers refuse to provide service to basic phones. then i may get a rotary home phone. hee hee.

Android smart phone prices have plummeted and going on sale for 10-15 dollars. I just pulled the trigger on my first smart phone, a tracfone LG Optimus Fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by simplelife4me View Post
    Android smart phone prices have plummeted and going on sale for 10-15 dollars. I just pulled the trigger on my first smart phone, a tracfone LG Optimus Fuel.
    They have plummeted. But there is another aspect of the Smart phone, that makes me like my dumb phone, the amount of time you need to plug it in for charging. My candybar style phone, I can go charge it, every seven days.

I tell anyone and everyone whenever the smartphone subject comes up: I truly believe that within (x) amount of years I will feel forced to have one to be able to function halfway optimally in modern society.

I was an early devotee of the PC, and now would give up a lot of my "discretionary purchases", and would pay a lot more, to continue my online access. It just seems absolutely necessary to me to function in modern society. Something that I didn't think about or plan for back in circa 1994. Back then, being online was a marvelous informational toy. (I know many people get by fine today without one.....I just don't see HOW!)

For me, today, a smartphone would be the same thing as a PC was back then: a marvelous informational toy. But I fear - and believe - that smartphones are gonna end up being just as essential. But since I'm so much older now, I will continue to save money and resist the paradigm change.

My smart phone has replaced my PC. I don't own a computer other than a tiny netbook that's 10 years old that I use 1-2 times a year and only if I have to. I don't have Internet at home. I don't have a landline. I don't have cable. I only have my smart phone. It's cheaper than having all those other things and it goes with me everywhere.

And yes, I use my smart phone to write on this forum.

Thread Information