Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hi from Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    Hi, jjr! Bienvenuto! DH (my dear husband) and I love travelling to Italy, as we are both crazy about old Alfa Romeo sports cars and Italian gardening and architecture. What got you interested in simple living? Is there any interest in it in Italy? We were just staying in Frascati, near Rome, and noticed that already the culture tended to keep things pretty simple and elegant.
    i am also an Alfa fan and for my sins I had an Alfa Montreal, it is not exactly simple living when you own a Monty!

LOL, Davidwd--exactly! I always referred to my old 1992 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 shiny black sedan as a "cruel mistress," although technically, I should have called it a "cruel master." Expensive, wasteful, complicated, and painful, but oh! So deliciously exquisite! That car was sublime. Sigh.

Well, maybe I will go to Italy, if I ever travel to Europe. I have looked at Italy on google earth numerous times, and I really liked what I saw. They do drive cars that are to my liking--though there are some huge trucks, they are primarily for commercial purposes. The cars are very compact and not "road monsters" like consumers favor here. I like midget Cars, with hatchbacks. If there is Pizza--good pizza--then I might give it a try. But, I will not be eating greasy Gas Station Pizza for Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, every day, like they do in some places in North America. Or buckets of greasy deep-fried chicken. One other thing; how prevalent is English spoken? Or must I learn Italian, even for road signs?

I live in a town in southern Italy. Closer to Naples (which is a very beautiful city). I live in a small town away from the big city, where most people work in agriculture and pastoralism.

Soon I'll post pictures if you like.

Obviously, sorry for my English is not the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    Well, maybe I will go to Italy, if I ever travel to Europe. I have looked at Italy on google earth numerous times, and I really liked what I saw. They do drive cars that are to my liking--though there are some huge trucks, they are primarily for commercial purposes. The cars are very compact and not "road monsters" like consumers favor here. I like midget Cars, with hatchbacks. If there is Pizza--good pizza--then I might give it a try. But, I will not be eating greasy Gas Station Pizza for Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, every day, like they do in some places in North America. Or buckets of greasy deep-fried chicken. One other thing; how prevalent is English spoken? Or must I learn Italian, even for road signs?
    I found English to be widely spoken, but we were in a touristy area. We found the locals to be extremely friendly at all times and passionate about the food they produce. We never had a bad meal! But there are plenty of Mc Donald's etc, we never used them though because the local food was amazing and reasonably priced. I am looking forward to returning to Italy again possibly Sorrento, Amalfi region and I would like to go to Salerno where my Grandfather landed as part of the British 8th Army after pushing Rommel up through Africa. I would like to retrace all the countries he went to between 1939 and 45.

Thread Information