Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restorative Yoga

Restorative Yoga

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone on the forum had taken restorative therapy yoga? I didn't know what it was until I found it on the computer. I read that it is for people with physical problems back problems, arthritis or anything that hinders your range of motion. Athletes often use it for their injuries.

It sounds like it would be perfect for me with my low back pain and piriformis. It would help me a lot if I could get my problems managed and then I would be in better shape for regular yoga. I researched it in my area and sent out feelers hoping to find a class somewhere. If anyone has heard of this or tried it please let me know. Thanks.

Hi cody11,
    I've done Restorative Yoga. I liked it. I'm not sure if it will help with your injury. I hope it does. They do a lot of relaxation with props: blankets, bolsters, etc...
    You might find this website helpful:sequencewiz.org. There's a set for the inner and outer thigh muscles, (adductors and abductors) that has really helped my hip problem. There's also a set for the elderly with some excellent comments. In the comment section, she recommends other sets for evaluating the hips and healing them.
    Hope you find something that works for you! I'm going to go do this sequence with her now...(On Youtube.)

Hi awakenedsoul,
    I went to the web site you told me about. Now I understand about the props, blankets and bolsters. That would drive me nuts. I saw the gentle yin yoga. What do you think of that? The only problem I see is all the leg exercises. It's slow but I'm not that flexible yet. I do like the slow stretching because I think it opens and stretches better. What do you think? Your the yoga instructor. What do you think is better Gentle yin yoga or gentle hatha? Looking forward to your answer. Cody11

Hi cody,
    Did you watch the class for strengthening the inner and outer thighs? It does have a lot of leg exercises, but those muscles keep the pelvis in place. It sounds like your pelvis might be out of place, from what you've written in other posts. I've been doing them, and it's realigning my hip bones. Are your legs toned? Have you had any muscle atrophy?
    If you like the slow stretching, the yin and hatha are both great. But, if your hip is inflamed, the hip openers can make the injury worse. I don't recommend them with an injury like yours. (until you are no longer in pain.) There's a saying in yoga, the poses you don't like are the ones you need to do. But, I think as we age, we need to work more on strength than flexibility. I alternate my daily practice with pilates for the core, a set that works my upper body and inversions, and then do the set for the adductors and abductors. Everyone's different. I'd have to see you. I can't tell over the Internet.

I didn't used to like props, either. They are helpful for people who are stiff, unable to do the poses, or need assistance getting into the pose.

Yes, I have used restorative yoga to aid recuperation several times, and have studied it a bit (I am certified to teach yoga, though I don't actually teach.)

In general, it is just a more gentle form of yoga to help one restore balance, though specific poses (as in the book "Yoga as Medicine" by Timothy McCall) can be used for particular problems.

I agree with awakenedsoul about aging and muscles. I have never done pilates, but I have added a lot of push ups, handstands, and the strengthening standing poses to my yoga. It's amazing how doing a little every day makes other tasks, like lifting and digging and climbing, so much easier.

I also eschew props; I think it is better to work with your body. Bend your knees if you need to instead of using a block, make adjustments so you can get into poses comfortably. I know the props are supposed to help with proper alignment and many are fans of them, but I prefer a more traditional approach...though I do think bolsters and cushions can help with the pure relaxation poses used in restorative yoga.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Hi again,

My real problem is my leg. It is the piriformis problem. I have no range of motion in my left leg. I can't sit cross legged. I keep trying to get my left hip to give by gently exercising it. This really gets in the way of trying to do different poses in yoga. That is why I love the floor exercises so I can compensate for the left side.

This is a mess with this leg. For 20 years I did Pilates every day for an hour and loved it. I was in the best shape of my life. All I want to do now is get in some type
    of shape so I can do yoga like a normal person. I don't expect to do head stands but would love to stretch and balance normally. I used to be so flexible and now really miss it. I know with any exercise the more you do the more you can do. I think now if I do gentle hatha twice a day at home I will be able to improve. Thans to both of you any help you can give me is appreciated.

A lot of it is where your bones are. I remember watching Juliet Prowse do yoga when she taught our class. We were in the show Sugar Babies. She had also lost a lot of flexibility, and sometimes she would lose her balance. She really had to fight to do the poses. She was 60 at the time. At the time, I wondered what was wrong. Now I realize that her body had aged, and she couldn't do all of the flexibility stuff that was easy for her when she was young. (She started yoga with Bikram in the 60's, and practiced every day. She also took private Pilates classes.) My dad commented that her dancing looked "kind of stiff" in the show. It just gets harder as you get older.

I used to think the props were a waste of time, but now, I'm grateful for them. She has you squeeze your knees together using the block. (when you're laying on your back with the knees bent, feet on the floor.) The resistance helps to rebuild the inner thigh muscles. The inner thigh muscles help with balance. All of a sudden I'm seeing the reasoning behind it all. My thighs have gotten so thin that I have to put a pillow between them when laying on my side to sleep. Aging really changes the muscles. My goal is to rebuild as much muscle as I can. When I taught elderly people, I noticed they had a lot of space between their legs, too. Now I see why.

I don't mean any of this as as argument. We're all so different. I can still do headstands, but if I don't keep practicing, I probably won't be able to get up there. You find what works for you. But, I do see a decline in my own practice, and am trying to accept that without resistance or ego.

Cody11 - do you get any physical therapy or massage?
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Hi Gardenarian,

At this time I am really tired of that group. I tried to get a cortisone injection in my piriformis muscle but instead they gave it in the hip because I have moderate arthritis in both hips. I told them that injection wouldn't work and I was right. Ortho doesn't want to believe the piriformis muscle is the problem. I have seen it on the computer done by Dr's but they don't want to believe that piriformis is a problem. Dr's are bull headed. I know that because I worked with them for 30 years. Actually Physical therapy is about the same as doing yoga stretches. So help me I am going to work this out myself.

Quote Originally Posted by cody11 View Post
    Hi Gardenarian,

At this time I am really tired of that group. I tried to get a cortisone injection in my piriformis muscle but instead they gave it in the hip because I have moderate arthritis in both hips. I told them that injection wouldn't work and I was right. Ortho doesn't want to believe the piriformis muscle is the problem. I have seen it on the computer done by Dr's but they don't want to believe that piriformis is a problem. Dr's are bull headed. I know that because I worked with them for 30 years. Actually Physical therapy is about the same as doing yoga stretches. So help me I am going to work this out myself.
    I had posted a comment about seeing a Physical Therapist this morning then erased it because I wondered if you had been down that road.

I think you are right, you may well, knowing what this problem is, work it out. Good luck.

Thread Information