Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mattress topper

I'm sure it would be different if one was actually allergic to wool (which I am not), but under the fitted sheet, I really wouldn't know it was wool if I didn't know, you know? And my bedroom is a non-air-conditioned, attic type of room, and it's true that the wool pad "breathes" like cotton and does not in any way feel like a wool sweater. This is critical when it is 90 degrees and humid. I did have that worry about going with wool, but it turned out to be unfounded. It also has good, strong elastic straps on the corners to hold it in place which are pretty effective.

I have a wool mattress pad (on top of memory foam) and in the winter, a number of blankets. A regular wool sandwich. I don't heat my bedroom, but I stay warm.

Yes, it's wool for me every time. As long as it is encased in cotton so it is not itchy. I like natural materials, I cannot stand the fumes from memory foam, it is like sleeping in a chemical factory!

The outcome of my mattress shopping was: nothing!

I went to a mattress store, tried their hard, medium, and soft versions, couldn't tell much difference, and then became bored. Had to leave when my ten-minute shopping window expired. I think there were pillow top mattresses there but by then I was tired of the concept of a new mattress. The one I have now is fine, I'll keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    The outcome of my mattress shopping was: nothing!

I went to a mattress store, tried their hard, medium, and soft versions, couldn't tell much difference, and then became bored. Had to leave when my ten-minute shopping window expired. I think there were pillow top mattresses there but by then I was tired of the concept of a new mattress. The one I have now is fine, I'll keep it.
    Good for you IL - keeping it simple
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

DH recently read an article that stated that the reason people find hotel mattresses SO superior to their own is because they are dressed in nice white sheets and comforters. In other words, it's the case of the champagne tasting better in a bottle with a Dom Perignon label.

As a frequent traveler, however, I have to objectively say that the mattresses in hotels beat mine by a long shot. (And, I happen to dress my bed in all white anyway.)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Generally, I don't sleep better all week than I sleep on Friday night. Two days of freedom. Maybe there's something of that going on with hotel mattresses, people are afterall on vacation (unless they are traveling for work or something). Though I find traveling even locally, somewhat stressful (although it's good for me) and I would rather sleep at home. Sleep at home with time off ahead of me .... that's the sleep.
    Trees don't grow on money

Iris Lily- We've gone mattress shopping a few times in the 30 years or so we've had this mattress and get so confused, frustrated that we just turn around and come sleep on our current mattress. Too many choices.

You know the old saying about it being nice to be on vacation but it is always good to come home to your own bed? We knew we needed a new mattress but after taking two vacations and staying in 16 hotels, we hated coming home to our own bed with the 3" memory foam topper. The topper is better than without but it is hot and I can tell it is still on top of a crappy mattress. We started pulling the sheets off the beds that we loved and found that over and over it was two. The Serta Perfect Sleeper and the Simmons Pillow Top. Of those two I have to say the Serta won my heart. That was at the Hilton. I have pain issues and I woke up knowing that a new mattress was going to make a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    You know the old saying about it being nice to be on vacation but it is always good to come home to your own bed? We knew we needed a new mattress but after taking two vacations and staying in 16 hotels, we hated coming home to our own bed with the 3" memory foam topper. The topper is better than without but it is hot and I can tell it is still on top of a crappy mattress. We started pulling the sheets off the beds that we loved and found that over and over it was two. The Serta Perfect Sleeper and the Simmons Pillow Top. Of those two I have to say the Serta won my heart. That was at the Hilton. I have pain issues and I woke up knowing that a new mattress was going to make a big difference.
    Funny, yep, it was at the Hilton where the mattress was great! It was pretty good at a Day's Inn, though, too. this is excellent research!

Thread Information