Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Independence....

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I think there's a better way to proceed.

Overthrow the German usurpers, and put a Scotsman back on the throne of England.

:-)

Restoring Stuarts to their rightful place always has my vote.

catherine, ,what does your husband say about the vote?

You know, I have to ask him! He hasn't said much about it--he's been too caught up laughing his "heed" off at this Robin Williams clip about how the Scots invented golf: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFVkD4Rvuag

But I know my MIL would have voted to stay in UK. She liked being part of British monarchy and she loved Queen Elizabeth--they were the same age, and they kind of grew up together. Plus, I think she saw good political reasons for being in the UK.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I've wondered if Scotland would leave the UK - and then join the EU while England leaves.

As I understand it, there is some dispute over whether Scotland would stay with the pound, whether through a formal currency union, or informally (like Ecuador using the dollar). There also seems to be some disagreement over how the national debt would be allocated. I feel for the credit rating agencies right now. The UK's nuclear capability would almost certainly migrate south. Since Scotland votes pretty reliably left, the Conservatives would probably gain influence in a rump UK. I've heard both sides of Hadrian's Wall claim they contribute more taxes to the other, so I have no idea which is right.

In any case, this strikes me as the sort of issue that is settled more on emotional terms than rational calculation.

Banned
    Inititially, the UK was an Empire, a Nation State. But now, their culture doesn't differ greatly(except for excesses of booze/golf/kilts/thriftiness), and they are intertwined like Siamese Twins sharing the same vital organs. So, it might be very impractical to separate the two. Makes me think it might be more smoke than fire, like the perennial Puerto Rican Independence movement, or the secessionists getting up petitions in various U.S states. At least there is no violence,(is there?) such as that we've heard about in Northern Ireland over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    Inititially, the UK was an Empire, a Nation State. But now, their culture doesn't differ greatly(except for excesses of booze/golf/kilts/thriftiness), and they are intertwined like Siamese Twins sharing the same vital organs. So, it might be very impractical to separate the two. Makes me think it might be more smoke than fire, like the perennial Puerto Rican Independence movement, or the secessionists getting up petitions in various U.S states. At least there is no violence,(is there?) such as that we've heard about in Northern Ireland over the years.
    There were cannons in George Square (Glasgow) in my lifetime over this independence issue, at least a native told me this while we were standing in George Square. Am looking around Goggle to find the evidence.

But no Troubles as went on for decades in Northern Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I can barely understand how Northern Ireland now fits in with and remains part of the UK. If Scotland separates it will be more separate than Northern Ireland is separate. That's a really big deal.
    At least Scotland and England will share a border unlike Northern Ireland and will most likely be on friendly terms with the UK as a separate country - much like us and Canada. In Ireland, once the south became independent of the UK, many in Northern Ireland (various factions) did not want to be beholden to foreign country who doesn't even share the same land mass and, in essence, where viewed as usurpers and Imperialists or worse. Can you tell who I support :-)!

I live in Scotland too & still don't know which way to vote.Maybe I'm just very skeptical, but I can't foresee any significant positive changes either way simply because whichever way it goes we're stuck with the same old basic economic priorities of profit before people and globalised and/or outsourced business and industry instead of local. I don't see how the small financial incentives suggested by the SNP would greatly alter that or the gap between rich and poor.

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    I've wondered if Scotland would leave the UK - and then join the EU while England leaves.
    I didn't think the remainder of the UK & NI (if Scotland became independent) had plans to leave the EU, not even with recent UKIP gains. Depends who comes into power in the 2015 general election perhaps, but it seems like an unlikely move.

Thread Information