Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Corn Checkers(Rant)

Packy--I agree with you 100%. No need to strip--just feel the end. If it's nice and rounded, full--then choose it and move on.

I have so many corn-growing stories, mostly associated with my Dad. One year he and I painstakingly sprouted our corn seed and planted a dozen or so rows. It had come up, oh, 2-3 inches when one morning I looked out and each and every seedling had been plucked up, snipped and set down in beautiful, perfect herringbone lines, right down the rows. Crows.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I can see how it might be a challenge to grow sweet corn successfully. I have seen it done by backyard gardeners, but it is a field crop that is better suited to large-scale production. You allocate precious space for a bunch of sweet corn, and midseason, it is damaged by wind, bugs, animals whatever. All that garden space--wasted. The height of the plant; space constraints, & its' vulnerability, and other factors would make it problematic. Bad experience with down-home gardens just may be why the provincials tend to instinctively check supermarket Corn. If gardening is your avocation--do it. Otherwise, stick to the other high-value vegetables that are better-suited to the home garden.
    Last edited by Packy; 9-15-14 at 9:35pm.

Otherwise, stick to the other high-value vegetables that are better-suited to the home garden.
    I agree. I convinced DH to discontinue corn in our home garden 2 seasons ago. I takes up too much room for the amount of harvest we get from it - and preservation is too labor-intensive for the amount we get for the pantry or freezer.

Thread Information