Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Green Smoothies Anyone?

Anything that gets more veggies into your diet is well worth it in my opinion. If smoothies work for you then great. Happy to see you are getting good results too. I read something the other day that the overly simplified key of all diets seems to be 'eat more vegetables' and I think that is spot on. I love smoothies myself and they're quick to make and consume so I will be giving them a try and see if I can incorporate them into my own diet.

I think the two main benefits of smoothies over just eating more veggies are the nutritional density and the fact that everything is raw. Raw is important because of the enzymes that are destroyed by cooking. The density part is simple. I put some water in our blender then stuff the whole thing with kale, zip it up and re-stuff it with spinach. All blended that fills the pitcher a little over 1/2 full. I love salads, but wouldn't keep at it if I had to eat that much raw green leaf every single day. I just wouldn't do it. It would be terribly boring to me and that's where I get into dietary trouble!
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

Gregg,
    Thank you for posting this! Originally your idea was that perhaps by writing of your experiences you would inspire someone else, and this has certainly proven to be the case for me. After reading of your experiences, and the words of other commenters, my partner & I decided to begin cleaning up our health a bit. We began by including a large salad every day. This led to watching the documentary of Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead and we got inspired to try a 3 day juice fast. This is day one. We wanted to try it for the experience, to see how it felt, and to imagine our cells becoming flooded with the nutrition involved with greens, fruits, and vegetables (which our diet had been lacking). We're curious to know if green smoothies will become a daily part of our lives. So far so good -- and we're having fun doing it.

Thanks again!

I just want to update to say I finally took the plunge. I bought my wife a Nitribullet for Christmas and we use it constantly to make green smoothies. I love it so much I bought one for myself for work. Incredibly easy to use and clean.

I'm consuming a LOT more fruits and veggies, and I feel fantastic!

This week I'm going on a smoothie binge. Smoothies for breakfast and lunch, maybe a small one for a snack. No solid food before 6:00 for 7 days. I'll update on how it hoes.

So, thanks again, Gregg. You are an inspiration!
    "There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

Quote Originally Posted by The Storyteller View Post
    I just want to update to say I finally took the plunge. I bought my wife a Nitribullet for Christmas and we use it constantly to make green smoothies. I love it so much I bought one for myself for work. Incredibly easy to use and clean.

I'm consuming a LOT more fruits and veggies, and I feel fantastic!

This week I'm going on a smoothie binge. Smoothies for breakfast and lunch, maybe a small one for a snack. No solid food before 6:00 for 7 days. I'll update on how it hoes.

So, thanks again, Gregg. You are an inspiration!
    Don't forget to.....

-Masticate the juice so it gets the juices in your mouth flowing, which is where digestion starts. Otherwise you are essentially getting a high concentration of sugars. Avoid gulping the juice.

-Be aware you are also adding a lot of natural sugars to your diet. Those fruits high in fructose (apples, cherries, mangoes, watermelon, pears, etc.) are going to send a surge of sugar directly to your liver which can cause fatty liver, similar to liver problems from consumption of too much alcohol.

-The high fructose fruits (and vegetables) are the only carbohydrate known to increase uric acid, which can be a problem for anyone who suffers from gout.

-The fructose in 2 apples or 2-oz. of honey is the same fructose in 1 can of soda/pop. It's still fructose and has the same damaging effects when you consume too much.

-High consumption of fructose can lead to fructose malabsorption (common in older people, and affects about 30% of the population) when there is a deficiency of liver enzymes to properly process and metabolize fructose.

-If you've had your gallbladder removed, consuming large concentrations of fructose in drinks or foods will place an additional burden on your liver.

So far so good!

I'm on Day 6 of my 7 day smoothie binge and it has been much easier than I thought. No solid meals before evening, everything 100% vegan.

My typical smoothie started out at 50% vegetable, 50% fruits and nuts and is now about 70/30%. A typical recipe is kale (LOTS of kale), spinach, broccoli, carrots, 1 banana (or apple or orange or a few strawberries), blueberries (between 5 and 10), walnuts, and almond or soy milk.

These things are delicious, and I feel better than I have in years! I haven't lost any weight, but according to my doctor my weight (170 lbs) is perfect, even though it would be okay to lose another 10 pounds or so. This has been such an enjoyable experience, I'm going to continue after it is done. Not as restrictive on what I don't eat (I'll eat an occasional salad for lunch, and I do love eggs in the morning on occasion, since they come from my own farm) but will continue with doing a green (key word, there) smoothie once or twice a day, pretty much every day, or as often as I can. I'll also try to continue to up the vegetable ratio.
    "There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

Gregg, wonderful to read about the positive changes you are making in your daily life. It's hard to change old patterns of eating and get comfortable. There is a ready made green smoothie by Bolthouse Farms Juices. They have two varieties. One is Green Goodness, a more fruit based and very palatable. The other is Daily Greens, a more veggie based and reminds me of Warrior's Drink from Star Trek. It's strong but very nutritious.

I find that in winter if I am feeling low in energy, I take this as a "medicine" for a two week period and feel very restored. Of course, you can always make your own.
    Here is a link to my blog page http://francesannwy.wordpress.com/

I also came across a natural way to treat cholesterol and a lot of ailments with different combinations of honey and cinnamon.

Cholesterol: Two tablespoons of honey and three teaspoons of cinnamon powder mixed in 16 ounces of tea water.
    Longevity: Tea made with honey and cinnamon powder. Four teaspoons of honey, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and three cups of water. Boil and drink 1/4 cup 3 or 4 times a day.
    Weight Loss: daily in the morning 1/2 hour before breakfast on an empty stomach and at night before sleeping, drink honey and cinnamon powder boiled in one cup of water. This one doesn't give a ratio. I would guess equal parts or 1 teaspoon of each.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I also came across a natural way to treat cholesterol and a lot of ailments with different combinations of honey and cinnamon.

Cholesterol: Two tablespoons of honey and three teaspoons of cinnamon powder mixed in 16 ounces of tea water.
    Longevity: Tea made with honey and cinnamon powder. Four teaspoons of honey, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and three cups of water. Boil and drink 1/4 cup 3 or 4 times a day.
    Weight Loss: daily in the morning 1/2 hour before breakfast on an empty stomach and at night before sleeping, drink honey and cinnamon powder boiled in one cup of water. This one doesn't give a ratio. I would guess equal parts or 1 teaspoon of each.
    Where did you come across this info?

The information on honey and cinnamon came from a local publication called the Brookfield Citizen. I have attached a link to their website. To find the articles on this topic, go to the Archive tab, Click on December 2014 to the column by Philip Peirce on Page 3. He continues the topic in January 2015 edition.

http://www.brookfieldcitizen.org/

Thread Information