Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Parenting woes: Helping teenagers with English homework

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Have you asked them? Might specifically ask for what class. (some people just never edit their lists and this should be brought to their attention if it just wastes money and the schools are always complaining about not enough money)
    I've only just glanced at the list the last couple years. A few years back I asked and was told they keep everything on the lists so teachers can build up classroom stock...just in case. Lists are created by the district board, not the individual teacher. Even the 3rd grade teachers are kind of upset that crayons are still on their lists, they don't use them. The hall closet is full of supplies. Kind of looking forward to purging that after they go to college.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thank you so much for your openness and opinons on the matter. I was very overwhelmed (in a good way) to see that so many people have responeded to this so constructively. It looks like there are so many of us with similar issues and/or concerns.

I remember feeling stressed out when I was in high school and in college. I did sports, volunteered, helped with chores and dinners and baby sat my little brother after school. I was tired a lot and I can only imagine now how kids feel. I have coached and done stuff in public education for many years and a lot of time kids are not given a break of any kind. They do homework over the holidays and on weekends. They contstantly are preparing for some sort of standardized test, and I might say that I really sympathize with them. I did have a talk to my daughter and she says she's feeling the same way. I can't let her get out of doing chores or doing anything less, but I am not more aware of how she feels and if there is anything reasonable I can do that can ease her tension a little bit, I will.

Thread Information