Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is brick and mortar retail doomed?

No, it isn't. It is an age of change, and businesses must adapt--evolve or become extinct. The effect of places like walmart is, they only handle the fastest-moving, most generic items. Each store has a finite amount of shelf space, and is run by the numbers. Anything that doesn't sell above a certain volume gets cut. This is where the smaller retailer finds it's niche--in specializing in lower-volume merchandise. That, and combining it with a service/repair/install department. But, in order to keep their volume from being TOO low, sometimes they must use the 'putters in the back room, go online, and market that 7 carloads of widgets they got a blowout deal on, or clearance odd inventory to raise cash, make space. I still "shop local", but there are lots of low-demand things Mr Local merchant doesn't keep in stock, but if he digs in his catalogue, he can get it for me. Just gotta order it, wait, add his $$$ markup & call me so I can run across town again to pick it up. Obviously, online buying partially eliminates this inefficiency. I buy generic stuff locally, special stuff online--unless I know for sure Mr Local has it IN STOCK. If he wants to, he can always buy a truckload of gadgets for a huge discount, and sell them online. So, nobody is left out, IF they are willing to see the big picture, and adapt. Thanks.

The first book I bought online was from an outfit in Nev. called Alibris. I had already read an excerpt from it, somewhere. This was around 1997. I didn't even have a 'puter; I used the one at the local Library. BTW, that Library did not even have a copy, because it was long out of print. Even if they did, I'd rather buy my own copy, because the darn thing was so long(500-600 pages)figured I'd prolly have it checked out forever and prolly damage it while I had it. Then, I'd be in trouble. Alibris was very reasonable in price, far less than a bricks n' mortar would've charged--but of course--the local shops didn't have it, either. Any, as it turned out, the book was in great condition, and was so interesting and well-written(for simpletons)that I sailed through it in a couple of weeks. So, my first experience with online shopping was very good.

I sometimes look at online reviews and then go to a Bricks and Mortar store to buy.

Doomed, no, evolving, yes. Most of the mom and pop hardware stores around here have closed. I only know of two left and one does a lot of internet business (specalizes in tools and closeouts). Two chains and the building centers are what is left, otherwise and places such as Mcmaster Carr have taken over for misc. hardware that they don't carry. Sears, in my life, went from some little stores with a large outlet and catalogs, to large stores, fewer smaller outlets and catalogs, to almost no outlets (changed what they were), no catalogs (website), and smaller/fewer stores.
    Shoe stores, well I know of fewer people that buy shoes online, then go to try them on in the stores, especially with any growing kids. Same with grocery stores, as somethings people don't want to buy unseen, or wait for. Other stores like Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc, have changed in part due to what they sell. Electronics are an item that prices drop fairly quickly, there are fewer that can or do get repaired (and peoples skills haven't kept up with the rate of change in the fields) and the warehouse models are more cost effective. It doesn't help that they have been shown to be bad (or have bad ones) at customer service as well (things like Geek Squad, or asking for your phone number when you make a cash purchase, etc).
    Borders, LOL, we only really had one that I can remember and it was way out of the way. Years ago, the one I remember for new books was Waldenbooks. There also used to be some used book chains such as Rainey day (don't know if their still in business but I don't see them around). In part, the formats have evolved, similar to the music stores (not many of them around), with the larger chains running the small guys mostly out of business, then themselves being run out by the electronic age. (get it newer, more current and cheaper delivered to your door) Most of my books have been bought used, off of Amazon for some time. Our local B&N, has less and older stock, higher priced, gets the crowd waiting for their movie to start next door (not to mention the stories I have heard about the chairs) and pretty much the only thing I went there for, is some magazines (couldn't find elsewhere). I need to go back and check out some used book stores again. It has been years, but the last times I visited any, selections were pretty limited to fiction and a lot of romance novels. I would have thought the bigger chains would have adopted some of the used book market to help keep and bring in the business. (probably not cost effective)
    But a lot of things are evolving. Friend from one of those hardware stores, took a tour of a tool manufacturer, and this huge plant was being opertated by a staff of eight, as the machines pumped out stuff. The tech age has certainly affected everything we do while evolving itself (my dad used to repair computers/worked for big blue and look at the costs there).
    Specialty shops with good service thrive. Regular B&M with good service, survive.

I have several streams of income. I have a couple of college degrees.

But I love my job where I earn a bit of money: being a notary. Louisiana and my state allow the highest fees nationwide so I'm OK.

Only me and another gal paid for the training to learn how to deal with documents bound for different states. Our target market is just over the border in Canada. 3.2 million people.

My point: service businesses (except for services you can get on the net) will always be needed. And when you need a notary, you need one fast if you have a real estate closing.

I love this job. I've been doing it for decades. Every appointment is a new story and very few are bad stories, like divorce.

Re books. My rule, one book in, one book must go (to the local library fundraisers).

I go to the library a couple times a week. If my county library system does not have a book I want, they can get it from any library in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I sometimes look at online reviews and then go to a Bricks and Mortar store to buy.
    GOOD ON YOU!

I would think so. I can speak for myself and little old me is not changing the world, but....I wager to say that for the past many years I have bought about 95% of my goods excluding groceries(some of those even) offline.I actually grumble if I have to drive to a store to get say jeans because I know I can just hit buy online and they will be the exact ones delivered to me in a few days. Driving to the store and hoping they have what I want just does not cut it anymore. So if I do this, I imagine a great deal of people do too.

For the things you'll need right away, b&m stores are the way to go. But sometimes, if time isn't an issue and you want to pay less, online is better.

I regularly buy supplements for my horse. The local tack shop has what I need at a decent price. But, an online company, Smartpak, has it at a lower price AND, if your barn is on their Barnsaver program, you can have anything shipped for free to that location that same week. No minimum purchase; they have certain days they'll ship to your area. Most other supplies I buy from the store.

I recently had a list of things I wanted to buy, one of which was a shampoo bar, which my local health food store didn't have (ironically, I work there now). So I ordered everything from Vitacost, which had much lower prices and free shipping (when I added a few items to the list).

Although I'd love to buy everything from real stores, financially it makes sense to buy things online when the prices are better. Of course, more fuel is used in delivering it to my home, and there is wasteful packaging. It's a tough call.

I prefer to shop online except for clothes because I need to try them on. I buy a high quality dog food online that is shipped for free right to the door. I also find that it cuts down impulse buys because I am not in a store waking by things that look good but I don't need.

Thread Information