Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to the myth of inflation?

What happened to the myth of inflation?

I recall a section in the original YMOYL about the myth of inflation. It included a table of basic living expenses from, I think, 1970 compared with 1990. Surprisingly, many prices had not changed much.

When I finally read the revised edition last year, I did not see this section. Did I miss it? Or was it left out? If so, why? Did time prove the myth not a myth after all -- i.e., did the debunking of the myth not hold up?

Anyone seen anything similar to the original table but for more recent decades?

I definitely noticed inflation when I started looking at prices on cars. I was shocked at the prices. I can remember buying a reliable, well cared for used Volkswagon Rabbit for $1,000. in Las Vegas when I was 33.
    I've been able to keep my expenses down, (beating inflation,) by cutting out wants. Also, I don't have a mortgage, so that's helped immensely. It takes tracking and discipline, though.

Have you sent the living author a message from her site: http://vickirobin.com/about/contact/ ?
    Maybe it was Joe's chart, or the way the book was done, there may be editorial issues with his (who controls it) estate.

I can remember buying a reliable, well cared for used Volkswagon Rabbit for $1,000. in Las Vegas when I was 33
    that's what you'll pay in sales tax now. Sales tax being near 10%, on a purchase of that size it adds up to near that or more with the registration fees you'll pay on initial purchase of a vehicle.
    Trees don't grow on money

If she replies with an answer, I am sure others would like to know so please post back the answer.
    Thanks

I haven't seen a new chart but have been retired over 10 year now and really haven't seen any drastic inflationary changes on most day to day things. And of the ones that have changed (gas, increase in utilities, insurances, etc..) I have been able to counter them to a certain extent to off set price increase (drive less for example). But some things have probably taken big upticks. Mostly things I don't need thankfully. Stuff I need, food mainly, clothes, and general consumer goods seem to be less then they were 10 or more years ago.

Food has really gotten expensive here-especially meat. Our grocery bill has went up considerably.

I've noticed that with meat prices, too. I've been using half as much meat in recipes. If I make tacos, I use a small amount of meat, and lots of toppings. I buy grass fed, which is expensive. Sprouts had beef on sale last week, so I got it there. I try to just purchase what's on sale when it comes to produce.

Because of the holidays. We'll see a drop in February for sure.

The price of corn has taken a big drop this year. The popular reason is the good growing weather through the summer. It would make sense that meat prices might follow.

The last several years have not been typical compared to historical due to the big recession. I'd be interested in information to the contrary, but I think inflation is real. It's just a slow creep that is not so obvious and has been even slower recently. Health care costs seem like they are always up. My insurance and home owner taxes are up. Electric rates are up, I suspect due to pressures to switch from cheap coal to more expensive natural gas. I had to replace my 14 year old car last year and the replacement was similar, but quite a bit more expensive. Housing here has taken a rebound and rents and home prices are zooming again. I'd actually counter that at the bare necessity level inflation hits harder. Fracking has probably saved us from $5 gas, but comes at another price. Cheap electronics and other things that benefit from the cost of labor overseas tend to fall more in the line of discretionary spending.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Thread Information