Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Roosevelts

The Roosevelts

Have any of you been watching this PBS series? A couple of years ago I had a winter project to watch all of the Ken Burns history series and The Roosevelts is at the top as being interesting and well done. Teddy, who is often portrayed as one of the greater presidents and a hero of early environmentalist is shown as somewhat of an egotistic war monger and racist in addition to his better side. Franklin's struggle with polio and his crippling illness is also something that is not often discussed and quite amazing. The vintage photos of the people and cities are the usual Ken Burns high quality and a fascinating glimpse of yesteryear.

They are currently on the beginning of the new deal, which was essential the beginning of all social welfare programs and huge government expansions. (Probably the nightmare nemesis of modern Libertarians). The issues around social reform and war seem quite similar to today. I have read that the Great Depression was possibly a cycle that would have recovered on it's own and the full recovery can basically be attributed to WWII. A theory I guess we will never know the answer to.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

I have been glued to this program all week. It is so well done and I'm in awe of the images that have been captured to tell the story of this family. I have always loved Teddy but realized I really knew very little about him. I can see his flaws but they in no way take away from the bigger than life person he was. I didn't like Franklin much before he was struck by polio. It seems to have humanized him. His trials were great and I can see how much was shielded from the public. The Mrs..... what a hard row to hoe. A great spirit who was treated poorly by many. It was a man's world but she sure kicked it around. I'm going to be sad to see this series end. Riveting.

I've been watching the Roosevelt program in bits during my lunch hours (it's streaming on pbs.com), and I think it's the best thing Burns has done since The Civil War, though I haven't seen everything he's done. I recently read a lengthy bio of Franklin Roosevelt, "A Traitor to His Class," that I thought was pretty good.

IMHO, Franklin Roosevelt was the greatest leader the 20th century produced, except perhaps for Gandhi. One thing the Burns documentary does a good job of pointing out is that it's no irony that the man who did more to promote social justice in this country than any other was a through-and-through patrician. Fighting for the rights of ordinary people might have been noblesse oblige on FDR's part (and TR's too), but only someone who knew the world of the rich and privileged from the inside could have been as effective as he was.

As for TR, it's very ironic that in today's Republican party, he couldn't win a primary for the office of dog catcher. That anyone could take it seriously when Republicans talk about themselves as "the party of Teddy Roosevelt" shows how little most folks know about what TR stood for, at least when it came to domestic reform.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    As for TR, it's very ironic that in today's Republican party, he couldn't win a primary for the office of dog catcher. That anyone could take it seriously when Republicans talk about themselves as "the party of Teddy Roosevelt" shows how little most folks know about what TR stood for, at least when it came to domestic reform.
    There's nothing ironic about it. Teddy founded the Progressive Party way back when.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

With very, very, VERY few exceptions, I don't watch any Made-For_TV Historical Dramas, Documentaries, what-have-you. Reason is, the producers will get it all wrong, twist it around, and weave in a bunch of non-facts, usually drawing upon the current crop of supermarket tabloid non-issues.. They customize it to make it more juicy and entertaining and dumbed-down for the masses out there. Lemme guess how it went---Roosevelt was an abusive alcoholic cross-dresser who threw gala balls in the White house, while the Mrs had a male companion of color, who took command during a crisis while the Pres. was drunk, and saved the nation. Just betcha. Also, most of his cabinet were double agents and crossdressers and north Korean spies. Or something like that. Somehow departing from the facts in a way to TV-Educate The People. Just betcha. Kids--Treat EVERYTHING you see on television anymore as if it were fiction.

I've been watching it but not for the people (the Roosevelts) but for the history of the country at the time of their presidencies. Some things I knew, some things I learned long ago in US History class and am reminded of and some things are new. Good series.
    Last edited by goldensmom; 9-19-14 at 8:34pm.

rodeosweetheart
    I am enjoying this one, especially the photographs and the information about how involved he was with therapy at Warm Springs. Fascinating.

I have been waching this series too. I particularly like to be reminded of our history; it puts so many things in perspective. So many things just repeat themselves and we forget.I also like seeing the human side of our leaders that it shows. Twould be fun to be a fly on the wall in a President's private quarters.

Those planes rolling off the factory floor in the massive mobilization, now that is a carbon based economy. Maybe that's what it's really all about, the clinging to fossil fuels: war. (there's plenty of what it's really all about theories but I can not think about those planes and not think: maybe clinging to fossil fuels is not really at the deepest root about either consumer capitalism (consumerism) or finance capitalism (compound interest, profits, financialization). Maybe it's really about modern war ).
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Those planes rolling off the factory floor in the massive mobilization, now that is a carbon based economy. Maybe that's what it's really all about, the clinging to fossil fuels: war. (there's plenty of what it's really all about theories but I can not think about those planes and not think: maybe clinging to fossil fuels is not really at the deepest root about either consumer capitalism (consumerism) or finance capitalism (compound interest, profits, financialization). Maybe it's really about modern war ).
    Definitely different times and priorities. I saw it also as how much our country can accomplish when it's mind is set against a common cause. It gives a little glimmer of hope that we can overcome our current environmental challenges.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Thread Information