Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Global Climate Action - THIS WEEKEND - what are you doing?

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I stand corrected, Spartana, and thanks so much for your efforts to keep our water and air clean! However, I'm sure that, as you say, things are falling through the cracks. I guess in my "perfect world" mind, I'm thinking it would be great to be able to simply drink water right out of the Hudson River like they probably did in the 15th century, but I guess that's a real pipe dream at this point. Kind of a shame that we take it for granted our waterways are just too polluted to swim in, or wash with, or drink from, without intervention.
    Well I only commented because I wanted to use the word "Enforcer" or maybe "Regulator" like an old timey government gun slinger :-)!

But yes, things do fall between the cracks and even if they didn't it's often hard to enforce/regulate illegal activity by big corporations in a large scale way. It can be done but court action and injunctions, etc... take time, regulations change mid way, and changes are slow to happen. Water was probably never safe to drink (think of all those millions of herds of buffalo and other animals doing what they do when nature calls) all that stuff goes down river and the methane goes into the air. But industrial pollutants (my forte) has become a huge problem. It's much better then it was back in the 60's and 70's and 80's but I don't think you'll ever be able to put a complete halt to it. Too many people (also doing what they do when nature calls), watering their fertilized lawns, draining their chlorinated pools, washing their various cleaning chemicals and prescription drugs urine, their food wastes, etc... into the sewer system, The list goes on and on and on. Add to that too much industry and their wastes, agriculture and livestock production and it's wastes, and not enough fresh water supplies or treatment plants, and ..well... here we are. Like I said, it IS much better then it was thanks to more regulations, but it'll never be great.

Some say the climate march should be not the end but the beginning of a movement. The UN will meet, maybe more people will protest (the flood wall street and so on - good for them). I have no great optimism about the UN meeting (because the U.S. and very much under this administration as well, has sabotaged MANY a climate treaty, that's what it does). It will decide whatever, not much I can do about that really It may be really depressing, but heck if I know what to do about UN decisions.

But 300k people in New York alone could really build a movement. No it's not that noone is doing anything for environmental issues at all already, of course PLENTY of people are (perhaps sometimes confused about what to do but), some spend their whole lives on environmental issues (others only part ). It's just more thinking about how could 300k be used as a catalyst to jump start more. Offered as food for thought.
    Trees don't grow on money

I will continue my efforts to advance my studied opinion of the havoc endless industrial complex subsidies wreak on our environment, our society, our children and our future.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

I was there. It was exhilarating and inspiring. Democracy Now DID offer the best coverage. It also covered the "Flood Wall St." demo on Monday.
    Both programs should still be available for streaming.
    Amy wasn't one bit "dour." She looked pretty happy interviewing Bill McKibben and other enviromental activists.

Thread Information