Thread: Good Cup of Green or Black Tea

Good Cup of Green or Black Tea

Typically, I have purchased store brand, Lipton or Bigelow brands of tea at the grocery store. I find the tea blah and lacking in freshness overall. Also, the amount of tea in one bag has noticeably diminished. One bag gets one cup where not too long ago, I could squeeze out two cups from one tea bag.

Can anyone recommend a more tasteful and fresher brand that isn't too pricey? The Celestial Seasonings brand I find has poor flavor and have moved away from this brand. I just want full flavor. My favorites are Jasmine Green, Darjeeling and Lady Grey.
    Here is a link to my blog page http://francesannwy.wordpress.com/

I like PG Tips.

If you want full flavor, I'd recommend Harney and Sons CTC Assam. It is BOLD! Unfortunately, its not available in bags- don't know if you're up to loose tea but here's the link: https://www.harney.com/ctc-assam.html

For tea bags, I second the recommendation above of PG Tips. Tetley British Blend is pretty good too.

Twining's teas are good. I always use loose tea, brewed in a pot, but all their blends are also available in bags, too. Not sure if they are available in the States, but I know it sels in Australia, so I expect it can be found in the US, too. I favour Darjeeling. Earl Grey. lady Grey and lapsang souchong. Husband likes Assam for his breakfast pot of tea.

For bagged tea, I like Harney and Sons and Mighty Leaf. I can use a single bag for an entire pot of tea. For loose leaf, I like Rishi.
    The brain is wider than the sky. -- Emily Dickinson

Twinings tea are available in the US, but not many groceries carry them. I can find the bags a lot easier than I can find the loose teas, which is what I prefer. Our Canadian friends have a bagged tea called Red Rose that is available in the US. It is very good, The bags are unwrapped inside the boxes, so once you open the box you will need to transfer the bags to an airtight storage container. Exposure to air oxides all the flavor out of tea.
    Mrs. Hermit

Thanks for the heads-up Mrs. Hermit.

Exposure to air oxides all the flavor out of tea.
    I didn't know this (though I'm kind of going "duh". It makes perfect sense). I will get a container for all my tea bags.

I keep all my teas in tea caddies. Most department stores and kitchenalia shops have a good selection. I collect antique silver caddu spoons, and use them!

I like Trader Joe's brand.

Thread Information