Thread: Sunday afternoon draaaag

Sunday afternoon draaaag

I think this is about work, I have this Sunday afternoon funk. I don't want to check my email but I am usually regretting that on Monday morning. I did check my calendar and it will be a long day. I lead running club in the morning which is one of my highlights, and then later in the evening I have a training to be a backup soccer coach for an awesome soccer program coming into our school. I think i get a jeans day for sure!

But the real stress is that I have been supporting scholarships for families who need our child care services. The rules changed somewhere from last year to this year and I have been doing my best to ask how I can support my families while I also try to get them lower fees. It is part of being the only site like mine out of the 50 sites we have, I can't just stay in my role and run my site because it needs extra support in many ways. And it is just feeling like I am capable of more than my current role and so I want to run the best site ever this year! I need to learn a few things and prove it, this scholarship situation is directly affecting it all. When I get a family taken care of it is such a wonderful feeling.

I am sure it will all be great, we have a new science program starting, a chess club and a digital music making class. And I will teach my first adult craft class on Wednesday night which will be fun. I also meet with my new supervisor on Tuesday and can get a feel for where I am at.

All of that to day, does anyone get the Sunday funk even when they genuinely like their job.

I did sometimes when I was working & I loved my job. I think it is more about losing control over your time versus not wanting to go to work.

That is probably it, I have long days (on call from 6 am -6:30 and in program some mornings, every afternoon 3-6) so I can flex the middle of my day. I find on my super long days I want to watch a netflix show in the middle of the day. I would be putting in enough hours but not really okay to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer on a break at work. I do have a gym membership and need to start doing that and bringing the gym bag during the day. Or just my walking shoes to go around the pretty lake across the street.

Zoe, I think you are in a job that is set up in a way that is exploitative of you. This is very common in education. It is natural and normal to feel this as stress. I so admire your dedication to the families and children who depend on you. Education needs people who have this kind of imagination and devotion to helping. I have a feeling you will eventually be able to move into roles that are set up in less stressful ways. Feel proud of yourself for doing the best you can in a very tough situation.

Thread Information