Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Smart tv--how exactly will this work?

Back when I had a 10 mbps connection , we could have 2 roku boxes streaming without issues through a single wifi router (caveat - this was before HD, which takes more bandwidth). Now it's 25 mbps (my cable providers current minimum), and we have no issues.

We have a Vizio SMART TV which streams internet through our DSL line as we did not want to pay for Satellite. (We don't yet have broadband cable or cell service in our town if you can believe it although we are actually happy about that.) We like it OK but am not sure we would purchase it in retrospect as we often hook up our laptop to the TV anyway since the apps are limited. We use NETFLIX, CRACKLE, PANDORA and YOUTUBE mainly on the TV but it does not let us go to any WEB site we want to stream video and even some of those apps are cumbersome and easier to browse/use on our laptop. It doesn't allow us to use HULU unless we buy HULU Plus subscription. Sometimes we have buffering issues and sometimes issues with some of the apps but not usually. Most of the apps on it are useless and I think they add them just to make it seem like there are lots of apps. The positive side of it all is that because it is not optimal we watch a lot less TV than we possibly might otherwise. We don't really miss all the advertisements and NETFLIX has a relatively good assortment of programs and documentaries which we love.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I like the versatility of chromecast since I can initiate streaming content from my phone or tablet, as well as easily use the big screen TV as a monitor for my laptop since the Chrome browser will stream any content directly to the chromecast device.
    Alan, just curious: does the content being streamed have to be the active application? Or can it run in the background while you do something else on the laptop/tablet/whatever?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Alan, just curious: does the content being streamed have to be the active application? Or can it run in the background while you do something else on the laptop/tablet/whatever?
    No, it doesn't have to be the active application. The application actually transfers responsibility for the stream to the chromecast device.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thanks, Alan. Good to know.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information