Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: what are y'all COOKING?!! it's fall, after all.....

Cliche? Ok, yea, but we had chili and cornbread for a football party tonight after it only got up to 52* today and cooled off quick. As healthy as our raw food summer was for us, it feels great to cook again!
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

I haven't been inspired lately, but I made bone broth and then a vaguely Asian chicken soup with garlic, ginger, onions, leeks, peppers, sesame oil and GF tamari, lots of chicken, and angel hair shirataki noodles. It should be even better after resting overnight.

Homemade chicken and noodle soup. My favorite.

Homemade chicken and noodle soup. My favorite.
    Yeah.

DH didn't appreciate my chipotle slaw with pork carnitas today - oh well, can't knock them all out of the ballpark, eh? Luckily, I did him a blackberry cobbler w/ice cream (friends gave us blackberries), which made up for it. It was his birthday.

Tomorrow will be a Western-style potato breakfast skillet, fried eggs on the top. And melon on the side. Then oriental beef-and-broccoli with rice Monday.

Well Sunday night so I had time:

- chilean sea bass, zucchinis with garlic olive oil and homemade roasted red pepper dressing (from the freezer)

For the rest of the week
    - this weeks soup (doing soup for dinner weekdays) is the potato soup whose recipe I posted, I have kale this time so don't have to sub chard, so we'll see how that works, probably add cheese. If I'm hungrier than that I'll warm up some chicken sausages to go with or even add into my portion (in freezer now).
    - This weeks lunch salads, well I have pears and goat cheese so if ambitious pear, goat cheese, dried cranberry and lettuce salad with lemon vinaigrette (though I lost the recipe maybe it's here ). And maybe a green salad or two wtih avocado, canned tuna, cheese, whatever is left of marinated beans my mom gave me, and vinaigrette.
    - one day of the week I am just going to make a recipe I saw with fresh figs, sauteed in olive oil, with cheese and salt. Yes I really am going to eat that for dinner maybe It's getting late in the year to even get figs I think, they aren't mission, but probably going to try recipe (I do like that cheese at WF). http://www.atlfoodsnob.com/2012/01/b...madeus-cheese/
    - I have some mushrooms to marinate, they'll last awhile, not necessarily eating them now or anything.
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 10-20-14 at 2:41am.
    Trees don't grow on money

Vegan Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup, piping hot, right now! Yum! It was a recipe I got off the Wholefoods website and I had all the ingredients on hand

Tonight its red beans and rice, jalapeno cornbread and broccoli slaw with a wasabi dressing. That'll wake the taste buds right up.

Tonight its red beans and rice, jalapeno cornbread and broccoli slaw with a wasabi dressing. That'll wake the taste buds right up.
    I should think so! Sounds wondermous.

Yesterday was tacos; today pork lo mein (used the last of the garden snow peas in the freezer) with apple cake on the side; and tomorrow is gonna be pan-fried garlic-butter tilapia and creamed/braised cabbage (to use up the rest of the head of cabbage from today's lo mein) and relishes (have green onions in the garden still).

Sure do enjoy hearing about everyone's menus. I keep thinking chili and other winter foods for our menus - but it's turned off perfectly beautiful and warmish around here for the last 10 days - so not quite ready yet.

No menu here. I only cook for myself, but I did make some chili. Not a great chili maker, but yeah, in the mood for warm food. Today, crockpot spaghetti sauce, but my crockpot...even on low, by the time I come home 10 hours later is over cooked. The old ones with lower temps work better for me. This one tastes overcooked.

Eating leftovers last week spawned the challenge of eating out of the pantry and freezer this week.

Monday's dinner was blue-box mac & cheese (so sue me ) with some ham cut up and tossed in and with string beans on the side. Last night's dinner was over-frozen walleye fillets with squash and basil-garlic noodles. The walleye was a too old; the rest of it will hit the bin. I don't tend to lose much in the freezer anymore, but I suppose fish is too delicate for that treatment. Tonight's dinner was a green-tomato tart with bacon and a kind of herbed-cheese "binder" in a pastry crust (I did have to buy an unbaked pie shell). There's enough tart for tomorrow's dinner and then Friday is pizza.

Lunches for me have been a panoply of whatever needs to come out of the refrigerator first -- frittata using up older veggies, leftovers of the previous-night's dinner, etc. At this rate it's looking like I won't have to go shopping for anything major next week either.....
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information