Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fall is approaching, daylilies

rodeosweetheart

Fall is approaching, daylilies

Fall is approaching, and I am trying to put the garden to bed. It is bumming me out, big time.

Does anyone else get very sad and depressed at this chore? I spent all spring happily anticipating, and it was such a terrible summer for the garden--I started tomatoes indoors, and put them out at the right time, and got not one ripe tomato. I heard on the radio a guy saying that at his vineyard up here, 2/3 of the crop failed--he went through all the grapes that failed, and I remember hearing "pinot grigio and gewertztraminer" and kind of tuned out the rest.

I am looking up green tomato relish recipes but honestly, do I want to bother? I feel so cheated, so blah.

Our blue hubbard squash did great.

Oh well. I did get some daylily seeds from a some beautiful daylilies in Northport, from a bank--my husband kept saying, "those are the bank's daylilies, you know" and I said, "like they are going to harvest the seeds" and I am starting them indoors in the window. That would be satisfying.

Is anyone else suffering right now? And seed catalogues are not going to work for me, not this year.

Yes, I hate this time of year. I wind up putting the garden to bed over several weeks, just because the end of it is just so ..final...and in New England, I really can't put anything in the ground for another 7 months plus. The bright side for me is planting fall groundcover, because at least its green until the frost really lingers. I have a mix of oats and field peas. I hate looking at bare soil.

This was the first good year I've had for tomatoes in at least 5 years, but the cucumber crop was a bust and those have always been reliable. I have no cucumber pickles in my pantry this year. Lots of dried hot peppers, some pickled green beans, frozen herb butter, some herb vinegars, frozen zucchini. Not a bad year.

Those daylilies won't breed true, but but perhaps they will be near-siblings. I wish you well in bringing up those little seedlings. I've not tried daylilies or even true lilies from seed. I"ve got a flat of lily bulbils out on the patio to transplant into ground before winter.

The last part of August through most of September is awful, usually it's so hot here! I often get a second wind in October. It's fun to dig lily bulbs to see what's under the ground.

I used to feel sad every August. I think it started as a kid when I dreaded losing my freedom every school year. But since moving to phienix 5 years ago everything is different. There's no real seasons here other than hotter in the summer, but usually nice outside. I often forget what month it is. It's the oddest place I've ever lived.

rodeosweetheart
    I am glad I am not the only one. It is the 7 more months thing that is getting to me. I am thinking of going back to SC, which is like the Phoenix climate as to having much more subtle seasons than up here. IL, that would be interesting if the daylilies reverted back to different daylilies--it will be exciting to see if I can get them to come up.

I am lifting glad bulbs and am happy to see all the new cormels, so yeah, that part is fun. . .

My garden was so-so this year. The tomatoes didn't do well (early blight), but I got enough to fill the freezer. I do have to say that I'm glad the season is over. It was taking up alot of my time and energy, and now I can do other things.
    I have to say rodeosweetheart (and I think we've talked about this before), I'm feeling a bit depressed too, but I think alot of it has to do with the shortening day. It happens to me every Fall. It also seems to happen to DH. We both start getting irritable. (Which is unfortunate, since our anniversary is in October.......haha). Seems like at that time every year, we're totally irritated with each other.

So......my point is, try to think that your feelings might be due in part to the time of year. Try to get as much sun as you can. I know you've been struggling with being happy up north. Hopefully, you'll find more things to like there, or maybe move back down south. I want you to be happy!

And I think we're all feeling the effects of the climate changing. I'm on a vegetable forum and lots of people are struggling with having the gardens that they used to have. The weather is just not cooperating.
    I wonder if any of your plans include a greenhouse? That might help your ability to control things.

And don't throw out those green tomatoes! They're good in a lot of recipes!
    How's that puppy dog?
    Hang in there rodeo!

I live on the Texas Gulf Coast and I live for October! July, August, and September are too hot to enjoy being outside.

rodeosweetheart
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I'm feeling a bit depressed too, but I think alot of it has to do with the shortening day. It happens to me every Fall.
    I know this is true, coupled with the back-to-school malaise, as I used to live for summer and swimming in the pool, and hated being cooped up indoors in the winter.

Yes, we have definitely considered a green house, I know exactly where to put it--but I am thinking I'd rather try to split the year in two and spend 6 months down South, as this just does not feel like home. There are many many wonderful things about the area, for sure, and we enjoyed the summer, but the thought of this winter--yikes, it is too much for me.

I will look for some green tomato recipes, and the dog is in a horrible adolescent stage. We just got her spayed and it seems to have made her worse! Oh well. She is "spirited" as the breeder said, code word for "reactive handful." But we are working on it!!

Fall has always been my favorite time of year!

I love Fall too, but my body/mind seems to sense a big slowdown. I told my doctor once that every Fall, something happens to my body. He said "Oh! You're deciduous!" hahaha How true!

Thread Information