Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Do you know how to get rid of a computer virus?

FWIW, I thought that Alan was responding with alternatives if the virus issue is not resolved otherwise. It was info that I valued since my cursor is still jumping all over the place. Everyone that I have discussed this problem with thinks that it is some kind of virus that has not been detected. I am not spending anymore on this laptop.

I am seriously looking at an Apple product (Ipad Air) since the discussion, that I have enjoyed and understood has indicated that some of the alternatives suggested might be too advanced for my level of understanding. I really needed to know that.

Please, please do not limit the ideas and discussion that arise in threads.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Hi all. Sorry if I stirred things up.

I didn’t realize this was such a hot button issue (sort of like spanking as a form of discipline, I guess… instead of as pure recreation, which I strongly endorse!)

Looking back at all my computer purchases, the most fulfilling one was the very first, when I plunked down a ridiculous amount of money for a Mac SE (anyone remember those?).

That felt empowering, as clunky as the hardware was. Everything after that has been an exercise in frustration to some degree.

When I finally had to replace my beloved SE because I couldn’t get software for it anymore, I bought the closest thing I could find to it, which was a low end mac.

That was frustrating from the beginning, in part because the hardware was already insufficient to run the Japanese language operating system that came pre installed.

My next purchase was a Windows Millennium box. A piece of crap, but I used it for 6 years or so.

Then one day I was strolling on the Ginza and found myself in the mac store. The iMacs looked awfully sweet, and I decided to avoid my previous mistake and bought a higher end model, one of the more expensive machines in the store -- which means pretty expensive. That was 2006, and I have very much enjoyed my experience. No crashing, no nonsense.

But now everywhere I go (in cyberspace) I am being told to upgrade my browser -- but I can’t because my OS is too old. So Yahoo mail doesn’t work right anymore, and when I come across naughty video clips on flickr, I can’twatch them for some reason. (There is nothing worse than a naughty video clip that doesn’t work!)

Recently my sister bought my poor old mother a Windows 8 machine, which she is having great difficulty to use. At first I thought she was just being, well, old, but when I tried to help her on a recent visit, I felt like throwing the thing out the Window … I will never ever buy another Windows. Sure, I could learn to use it, but why should I have to? Or I could buy a new mac, but again,why should I have to?

I resent being forced to buy a new computer when my old one still works perfectly fine.

Joe Dominguez argued that inflation was no big deal if you managed your purchases, citing his three-speed English touring bicycle vs. the ten-speeds of the day. A lot of people discount that view, but I have found it to be true in some areas. I saved a huge amount of money on my last TV purchase simply by choosing the best of yesterday’s technology instead today’s. It meets my tastes perfectly well.

I would like to do the same with computers, but the software industry sofar has not allowed me to do that, even though I don’t need, and don’t even like, all the bells and whistles and memory consuming garbage that they are constantly forcing down my throat.

I thought of Linux a few years ago, but decided it was too much for me, more of a Luddite than a computer geek.

But from what I am hearing it may be time to reconsider, even if it does require a bit of work.

For if I can take greater control of this aspect of my life, which is after all a necessity these days, it seems like it might well be worth it downthe road.

Regards
    B
    Last edited by Bartleby; 10-7-14 at 10:00pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartleby View Post
    ....I thought of Linux a few years ago, but decided it was too much for me,more of a Luddite than a computer geek.

But from what I am hearing it may be time to reconsider, even if itdoes require a bit of work.

For if I can take greater control of this aspect of my life, which isafter all a necessity these days, it seems like it might well be worth it downthe road.

Regards
    B
    If you're truly interested, here's an older primer on exactly how to do it on your iMac. http://www.maclife.com/article/howto...linux_your_mac
    This primer is six years old but the only difference I think you'll find is that it's now actually easier than the instructions may lead you to believe. If you do try it, let us know how it goes.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Well the virus is gone. The shop uninstalled AVG and re-initiated Windows Defender. So now I have Windows Defender, Malwarebytes and Super Anti-Spyware. Hopefully that should make me bullet proof! Plus I will not pay again for AVG. Too bad I have 14 months left on my subscription.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Thinkgreen, good to hear your happily back up and running. There is one point of view that I didn't mention, because I am not a fan. I know some who only install antivirus when they suspect they have one.
    I would think about sending your experience to the company since you paid for it. Doubt you would see a refund on the unused part (in the EULA I bet), but I would ask.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Please, please do not limit the ideas and discussion that arise in threads.
    Both the ideas and the disagreements with them.

I will never ever buy another Windows. Sure, I could learn to use it, but why should I have to?
    In a way, computing is still relatively new and there are competing and changing standards for how software should work.

Or I could buy a new mac, but again,why should I have to?
    You'll still have something to learn, no matter what path you take, simply because everything is still changing, still (hopefully) heading toward some convergence of interoperability.

I resent being forced to buy a new computer when my old one still works perfectly fine.
    I feel the same way - as long my old computer works perfectly fine, I keep it and use it. It is only after I can no longer do what I want to do on my computer anymore that I consider a new computer, either because what it used to do no longer work or because I need it to do something it never was able to do.

But from what I am hearing it may be time to reconsider, even if it does require a bit of work.
    That's just Alan overselling it. It won't make your life better. It'll just make it more difficult for certain things.

For future reference, the full instructions for ridding a computer of AVG can be found here:

http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-foru...517&ECID=af:cj

Quote Originally Posted by bUU View Post
    For future reference, the full instructions for ridding a computer of AVG can be found here:

http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-foru...517&ECID=af:cj
    For clarification, that's for a Windows machine, Linux users never needed AVG in the first place. Just sayin...
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Most of those downsides have been engineered out of the most popular distributions as per your example, plugging in your new digital camera is absolutely plug n play these days. The platform has come a long way in the last couple of years although I agree that it's not for everyone.
    So how come when I connect my Nikon DSLR and am prompted that a new version of software is available from Nikon, it is always either just Windows or Macintosh? Not even a courtesy link to how to connect with Linux. It's pretty much the same with my Canon printer. I'd like to update the firmware on my LG TV, too, but apparently that updater is Windows only, like nothing else exists.

None of these are backwater no-name "I-saved-a-few-bucks" products. So either Linux is not as PnP as Windows/Mac or the drivers are durable but not keyed at all to the capabilities of what they connect to, in which case I saved a lot of money on my OS and wasted it on my Nikon, Canon, and LG electronics. Oh, and having to run WINE or some other emulator doesn't count in my book.

Mind you, I think Linux is a great choice in a number of instances. And as more of the world moves to cloud services, how you get there will be ever less important. But right now I do not want to be the person who gets the call when my family member Linux user cannot install "Hallmark's World of Cards" or some coupon-printing software because it does not come in a flavor of Linux.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

For clarification, that's for a Windows machine, Linux users never needed AVG in the first place. Just sayin...
    does MS Visual Studio run on Linux? I've honestly never tried, it seems really weird to use MS proprietary development tools on Linux though I must say, but that's the type of stuff I mean by duplicate the average *work environment* ...
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information