Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you know how to get rid of a computer virus?

Do you know how to get rid of a computer virus?

I have AVG Internet Security on my machine. It showed that I have a virus and that it had been healed. But everyday the virus check ran, it would show the virus had been detected and healed.

I contacted AVG and they tell me this virus encodes itself somehow and regenerates within your machine. They gave me a case number and said they'd get back to me in 2 days as to how to get rid of it. They have not got back to me and now say they have a high volume so they will not be able to get back to me for 2 more days.

Does anyone know much about this? Win32/Zmist

I'm a Mac guy now (used Windows for years and years) but I know that sometimes another anti-virus program can eradicate a virus another one can't. There are some free anti-virus applications out there; you might want to try one of those in a scan mode (that is, don't set it up to run automatically along with AVG or you can really bind things up).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I gave up on AVG a few years back for Windows machines, as it was becoming lamer and lamer. Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes run together seem to do the trick fine for almost everything for me now.

It has been a long time since I was a Window's user (still have one machine, that might get booted into, once every 18 months). Back when I did use it and the only time I had a virus, it infected the antivirus program. I found and use an online antivirus scanner and it eradicated it. I do agree that other things like Malwarebytes, and other things such as Spybot search and destroy were other useful tools.

Proud to be a Linux user, and this winter, spending some time to try to become a power Linux user.

Well, my problem must not be a virus then. I have Norton 360, scanned with Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes as suggested above - nothing!!

On email and other postings including this site as well as MSWord, my cursor jumps all over the place and I have to backtrack and delete what I typed, and retype. What else could it be?

I just changed the batteries on my mouse on the off chance that it might be that simple a problem.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Razz Test the batteries first. If it still jumps, do you have a corded mouse to try? Is the mouse optical? (most battery ones seem to be these days) If optical, are you using it on either a glass or red surface? (some don't like those) If the old fashioned ball type, have you cleaned the ball?
    Then there are mouse settings that could affect it (in the control panel). Also were the keyboard and mouse bought together? (only once knew of a problem where two separate purchases were fighting for the same frequency, in that case it was two computer users in the same room, too close together)

Razz, do you happen to be using a laptop with a touchpad? If so, and the sensitivity is set too high, the cursor could be responding to your hand movements on the keyboard.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I disconnected the optical mouse and it still skips using just the touch pad. The cursor will jump back about 5-10 words. It has been getting worse over time. I could not find a link on the computer's panel to adjust the touch pad. I have Windows 7 on my Acer Aspire if that helps.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I disconnected the optical mouse and it still skips using just the touch pad. The cursor will jump back about 5-10 words. It has been getting worse over time. I could not find a link on the computer's panel to adjust the touch pad. I have Windows 7 on my Acer Aspire if that helps.
    http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers...n-windows-7%3F
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thanks for the info everyone. I will investigate Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes. In the meantime the virus scanner is reporting no virus found. But, can I trust it?

Thread Information