Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: October Frugals (2014)

October Frugals (2014)

Wow -- it's October! Guess it's time to start a new thread for our monthly frugals. September was pretty un-frugal for me, so I'm happy to be kicking off a new month.
    The brain is wider than the sky. -- Emily Dickinson

Well, after lurking for so long, it's time to join in. Time to get rid of lifestyle creep and focus on what's important. Today is a no spending day.

Another van load to the Charity shop today, another shed cleared. Feeling quite liberated with all this clutter disappearing!

That's great David! I cleared out my dresser yesterday. It was my dad's when he was a little boy, and is beautiful wood. I filled a garbage bag full of clothing. It was hard to part with all of my chiffon ballet skirts, but I don't see myself teaching ballet anymore. I did this once before, and then went back to it. (I had to buy all new music and dancewear.) I haven't worn these in three years, so it's time to donate them to someone who will. It feels so good to open my drawers now! There is plenty of space. I love the look of having all all of my hand knit sweaters together; I wear them daily. I'm working on cleaning out a second dresser today. The house feels so much better without things that I'm not using or wearing! It changes the whole atmosphere. Today I'm taking the bus, bike, and bike trailer to Costco. I need to buy baking soda and dog biscuits. I have to break up my Costco runs, now that I'm car free. I defrosted some baby back ribs that were in the freezer. I plan to make a rub with spices and coat them with molasses. I have some homemade bbq sauce in the fridge. I added up my expenses for Sept. yesterday. The total came to $300. under budget, even with a rent a car and cab fare. The little changes really do help, over time. I plan to invest the money that I didn't spend in 2014. Last night I spent some time chatting with my neighbor about health insurance. I am amazed at how much she has to pay. She's a few years older than I am. Living simply has really helped to reduce my premiums and deductibles. It's worth it to me to live at a low income level, rather than having all that money taken out of my paycheck. I've met some really great people while out running my dogs on the Walkydog. Our neighborhood seems to be changing for the better. I see horses, goats, and children playing now, instead of drug deals. It's really enjoyable. Yesterday I filled out my claim form for the City. I had to itemize the amounts for medical and dental care after the bike accident. I need to get a quote on the bonding for my front teeth, and then file the paperwork. Time to shower and go catch the bus!

Oct 01
    ---new furnace is in so I really need to build up the house maintenance fund again as I am also getting some much
    needed new flooring in living/dining room in the next couple of weeks not frugal but needed for health reasons
    the rugs are very dusty and no amount of cleaning seems to get it out.
    Also, put a newer type of filter in Air cleaner hoping that helps. The new furnace should show some savings and I
    can get rid of a service plan I have. And, used credit card to pay so some points and getting a $250.00 government rebate,
    not much but, something.

--groceries...4 pkg cream cheese on sale $1.97 (far enough dated to use for Christmas backing,) 1 pkg grated cheese Reg. $6.99 on sale 5.99 us a $2.00 coupon $3.99, 1 loaf of bread reg. $3.09 on sale 1.99 used a $2.00 coupon =Free and 1 cucumber and 2 on vine tomatoes
    Total only $13.40

--I have totally cleaned out and rearranged my pantry/storage area and inventoried all foods

--cleaned out most of the garden and got one last feed of green beans...still hoping for some Brussels sprouts and squash

This month will be all about giving stuff away and being as frugal as possible. Time to start packing! Am busy eating through the pantry, coming up with all sorts of random concoctions to use up what's there. Will have to start scrounging good packing boxes, though I'm not sure how successful I'll be at that. Time to book some final medical/dental appointments so I can load up on prescriptions, so I won't have to buy them in America. And so it goes...

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I had gotten out of habit of shopping the food sales. The last few weeks I have per used the sales and built my grocery list around that. Easily cut my grocery bill by 30%.

The he air conditioning has been off (I live in the south) and we will probably only use the heat when it gets extreme. The line drying and efficient solar cooking I do should make our utility bill less than $50 a month all winter.

I did end up spending 3.55 for cottage cheese, so I can make mushroom and spinach lasagna in the slow cooker for our lunches and dinner today. Started the poolish for our bread. I will knead tonight and bake in the morning. Tonight, I will also make pizza dough for our Friday night pizza. I am planning on getting a bunch a bananas for fruits.

Oct02
    --volunteered and brought a snack with me and drank free ice water
    --rolled all my loose coin and will take to bank tomorrow savings.
    --eaten from pantry and freezer all day.

DH went out of town to arrange a meat order today, and if I had gone with him we would have eaten out. So I just packed him on his merry way, stayed home, and made a good homemade lunch for us.

He has to go back tomorrow to pick up the order, and I intend to do the same thing. I'm finding that I only enjoy eating out if we do it rarely, as a treat, a couple times a month. I feel much better eating at home, where I know (for the most part) what is going into our meals, and how healthfully and sanitarily they were prepared. Saving the money is just an added bonus.

Thread Information