Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: leash free dog owners

leash free dog owners

Every night I take my dogs for a walk or a run on the Walkydog. Lately, there have been several people out at the same time, (usually in their front yards,) with their dogs off leash. One house has two little dogs that chase my bicycle, snarling and barking. They haven't bitten me (yet,) but they are very aggressive and out of control. The owner chases after them screaming, and the dogs ignore her completely. I talked to her about it and she said, "I don't know why..." It's happened so many times that I'm going to call animal control. I told her that I'm going to get mace and spray the dogs if they continue to chase me. I can't go down a different street, or I would. They are doing construction and have closed the main road. I ride by her house to get to the bus stop or go anywhere in town. There are ten different dogs (all small breeds and very yappy,) that have done this. It's getting to stressful to go for a walk.

We have several people like this in our neighborhood. They all seem to be from countries where the dogs run loose, in a pack. None of them walk their dogs or train them. Well, one guy actually is very good with his dog. The dog listens to him and is very obedient. But, it seems like the other people see him and want to follow. It's frustrating. I like walking my dogs and they need the exercise. I think I'll start taking photos of the loose dogs with my phone. Maybe that will give them the picture. (No pun intended...)

We've had some bad dog bites and maulings in this area. Two German shepherds even went after the animal control officers. I don't want something like that to happen to me, and the situation is getting worse. What would you do?

Carry a squirt gun or spray bottle with vinegar and water mixed. Spray the dogs as they approach. Alternatively, carry a thick stick or dowel. This can be used to push against the dog's chest, to donate to the dog thus sparing you, or if necessary hitting the dog.

We had this a LOT in Phoenix. Packs of loose pit bulls or (less often and less intimidating) chihuahuas approaching. I was on foot rather than bike, and knew how to make my body language say "get lost". Although as it was, our dog was bitten 3 times in the 3 years we were there; once was his fault and a major injury (severed a toe). He was on leash in each instance. Bikes are going to trigger the prey/chase instinct and if you're going slowly enough to allow your dog to run alongside, it's not going to outpace other dogs.

chihuahuas
    The meanest dog in our hood is a teeny tiny Chihuahua. Makes me laugh every time he charges us. We had a neighbor's unleashed dog attack ours a while back and the bite actually broke skin and left a scar. We demanded that they pay the vet bill which they did. If there are laws in place about unleashed dogs, follow up or turn in your neighbors who are ignoring the rules.

I live in a small lakeside community and the law of all dogs must be on leash signs are everywhere, and the law is strongly enforced. Tickets with large fines are given to dog owners that don't keep their dogs on leash outside of a fenced yard. It sure makes life easier when walking our dog or riding our bikes.

Do you have a law like this in your neighborhood, awakenedsoul? This situation is certainly bad for you and your dogs!

I would politely explain to the neighbors, once, the law in our county that requires dogs to be under control, and allows them to be shot on sight if they are harassing people or livestock.

Thanks for the replies. Rosie and pinkytoe, The dogs I'm having the most trouble with are chihuahuas. They do not back down...one followed me five blocks to the bus stop on the highway! This morning I shortened my route. I ran my dogs around the block and back and forth on my street three times. I avoided the street with all of the dog problems. Songbird, We do have a leash law here. Unfortunately, people refuse to follow it. It's like they're trying to train us to have all the dogs off leash. I'm going to call Animal Control and ask them to come out...these owners keep their gates wide open every single day.
    There have been a lot of dog bites, too. Most of them have happened in the dogs' yard. They just seem pent up, untrained, frustrated, and aggressive. I think they start to go crazy. It's weird.

Mace or pepper spray (I don't know the difference between the two). While I get wanting to catch a photo, your phone will not keep the dogs away:-)

The real key is active enforcement. In some places dogs are required to be put down if they bite someone and break the skin. Emergency rooms are required by law to report the incidents to animal control, who then goes out and picks up the dog. Some people think that's too harsh for the first offense/bite, but really, how many people should a dog get to hurt and terrorize? True, it's the owner's fault, not the dog's, but there are plenty of dogs who would never put their mouths on a person, for any reason. The ones that do- huh, seems to me that they are a menace to society.

And you have far less problems if animal control picks up all loose dogs, and owner's have to pay a fine to get them back, i.e. enforce the law.

The dogs were loose again today. I pointed the spray bottle of vinegar at the most aggressive one, and he stopped in his tracks. I took a photo of them (there were four loose dogs, running in a pack,) in their driveway with the gate wide open...

I wrote down their addresses and came home and called Animal Control. Hopefully they'll take care of it. At least I can run my dogs again. (One of them didn't even want to go for a walk anymore...)

mschrisgo2, I agree. Word will get around, too. Animal Control fines are expensive.

Reyes, I brought vinegar and water in a spray bottle.

Loose, aggressive dogs like this are why some people I know got their concealed carry permits and carry when they are out for a walk or a run.

Thread Information