Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: the Ebola situation

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    One thing I find interesting is how Ebola has pushed coverage of enterovirus D68 pretty much right out the window - even though it's basically everywhere at this point (42 states at least), has sent many children to the hospital, has likely killed several children, and has some unproven connection with weak limbs and paralysis in a number of cases (polio is also an enterovirus). Much bigger risk here (at least for children), but doesn't seem to have the same "terror" factor. Which is bad, there are steps they can take to reduce possible exposure, but I expect people are much more focused on people returning from Africa than on sick local kids in daycares and classrooms.
    I tried to bring it up, but you're right--it doesn't seem as scary, coming as it does from right here in the old US of A. As I also pointed out--like most of the terrorists and assassins we've dealt with over time.

well, looking for the silver lining, maybe the frenzy of fear about Ebola will result in more people using universal precaustions and hand-washing, which would reduce transmissions of all infections, including all types of viruses.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I wonder what the realistic potential is for a out of control outbreak in North America?
    Never say never, but the chances of that kind of outbreak in the US or Canada is almost non-existent and appears only slightly more possible in Mexico. Possible in the sense that it is also possible you can be hit by lightning on a clear day. We're far better off to keep paying attention to the enterovirus creaker mentioned or, for that matter, to start paying attention to type II diabetes.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    We're far better off to keep paying attention to the enterovirus creaker mentioned or, for that matter, to start paying attention to type II diabetes.
    Sadly, here in Central Jersey, we've had the first enterovirus death: a 4-year old boy.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Sadly, here in Central Jersey, we've had the first enterovirus death: a 4-year old boy.
    That is so very sad. Is that the little boy who had pinkeye, and went to bed and died? Those poor parents!!

A nurse in Spain has been diagnosed with Ebola.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    A nurse in Spain has been diagnosed with Ebola.
    Yes, she worked in some rooms where the patients, two missionaries were in isolation from what I have read. There is quite a of discrepancy between the different online versions of the story. And she and her husband are in isolation from what I can see many others are being monitored like in the US.

the number of cases worldwide is at least 7500.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Never say never, but the chances of that kind of outbreak in the US or Canada is almost non-existent and appears only slightly more possible in Mexico. Possible in the sense that it is also possible you can be hit by lightning on a clear day. We're far better off to keep paying attention to the enterovirus creaker mentioned or, for that matter, to start paying attention to type II diabetes.
    Interesting take on the south of the border scenario

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2014/10/08/top-us-general-says-ebola-outbreak-coming-through-central-america-is-real/?cmpid=GoogleNewsEditorsPicks&google_editors_picks =true

The key phrase in that article is "if an outbreak there were to occur". Certainly that's possible, and I'm not an expert on international travel patterns, but I suspect that the number of people traveling from west Africa to central America is fairly low. Multiply that by the low number of people actually traveling with Ebola and the likelihood of this scenario occuring is small. I can see why this keeps the general awake. It's his job to worry about these types of things, even if the possibility is really really small.

Personally I'm still much more concerned about getting flattened by a bus on my way to work this morning. The likelihood of that happening is an order of magnitude more likely than my ever coming in contact with Ebola.

I am starting to feel that the government is lying about the severity of which it could be, Ebola in the USA. I am concerned about international travel, which my husband does. The lack or misinformed education that the Airlines seem to have. I have never felt this way before about the item of the moment.

Thread Information