Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Back To Living Alone, Once Again

Back To Living Alone, Once Again

My awesome house mate and his equally awesome cat have moved on...I am sad, to say the least. He was one of my best roomies and I love his cat, Mort. Mort is one of those large, sturdy black & white tuxedo cats with funny facial markings and a goofy personality. My cat eventually learned to get a long with him and I think they ended up liking each others company, despite some scuffles and chases now and again.

The house seems empty and quiet without all his stuff around. Instant de-cluttering, and I didn't even have to do it! I guess I have been looking forward a little to having my place to myself, at least for a little while, until I start missing that extra $335 per month. It has been very nice to have an extra $2000 or so this year for all my little extras, and help paying off bills.

In the meantime, I guess I will clean and re-organize some of my stuff and reclaim a little space back...

Nice when it was a positive experience and gain some $$ as well.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Good roommates are really hard to find. Enjoy the quiet and space before looking for a new one.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

You are so lucky that you had such a great roommate. Now you know what traits made you happy and you can take your time in looking for those same qualities. Hope you enjoy you space for yourself! Chris

SiouzQ: It's been nearly 3 months since your roomie and Mort moved out. Are you enjoying your solitude or wanting companionship and more cash flow again?

I have been living alone since a break up and am still (1 1/2 years later) so glad to be free of all the compromises/interruptions that come with shared living. But my pocketbook does suffer! I have been experimenting with having paying guests in my spare bedroom. Kind of like AirBnB but with known guests (referrals from friends). I live in a university town and am thinking of having a faculty person sublet--they need just 2-3 nights/week.

Big announcement here at Chez SiouxzQ! I have a new house mate moving in this weekend; he's getting the keys today! I really dragged my feet on this for many, many months; my last housemate moved out in October and it's just been me and my kitty all this time. I have really enjoyed being alone here, even though the first few weeks I was a little lonely. I have gotten very used to (probably a little too used to) being a hermit and only going out to get to work and groceries. But I've really been missing having the extra cash and this seems like a good time to get someone in my extra bedroom. I am busy planning my June road trip and could use that extra money!

So instead of a young man in his twenties just out of college, my next roomie is a 48 year old married man who works here in town but whose family lives three hours away (daughter's are in high school and they didn't want to pull them out to move up here, plus the housing market for selling is still not good in Clevelandl). He will be going home every weekend, right after work on Fridays, and returning Monday mornings. So that means he will only be here four nights out of the week! He is very nice, normal with a good job type of family guy. I will be charging him $350 per month and if it all works out the way we think it will, he is committed to keeping this arrangement for several years until his youngest is ready for college. This is going to be a HUGE win-win for both of us!

Okay, gotta go and start cleaning and rearranging stuff to accommodate a new tenant!

Wow, that is a good arrangement. Nice to know he is stable. I would send a little gift to wife and daughter to let them know you also are stable and normal. Want them to be comfortable letting you know of any problems, delays, etc.

That is perfect. That give you income and some hermit days.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

That sounds perfect. I have been on the decision edge of either moving or getting a roommate for the spare room I have now. My income will drop seriously in a year without child support and I want to plan ahead. I have been putting as much into savings as I can to test what I need. I kinda don't want to move, and I need help with yard work so that could be part of the deal. It sounds like you have had good situations which makes me feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    That sounds perfect. I have been on the decision edge of either moving or getting a roommate for the spare room I have now. My income will drop seriously in a year without child support and I want to plan ahead. I have been putting as much into savings as I can to test what I need. I kinda don't want to move, and I need help with yard work so that could be part of the deal. It sounds like you have had good situations which makes me feel better.
    Really? A roommate? In your situation the very last thing I would do is to be looking to drag another human into your sphere of responsibility.

Of course you don't want to move, but I can't help but think that is the cleanest and easiest-in-the-long-run solution. A small 1 br apartment with a couch for whichever one of your children needs a place to crash should you decide to offer that as a possibility. Just the child, not his/her SO. Just room for ONE child, and not a very comfortable place, hint hint.

But that's my view from thousands of miles away and from knowing only a little about your situation.

Thread Information