Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Not a Halloween Fan

Halloween was my fave holiday when I was a kid. As an adult with no kids, I have absolutely no use for it. At best, it's annoying.

I had a coworker years ago who was the only person in our dept. who came in in costume on the day.One year, she had a meeting with our boss and HR. She insisted on going to the meeting in costume. Bad move. She was eventually fired.

The idea of sending kids door to door to strangers and asking for candy, how weird is that in todays world?
    It's kind weird, but it shouldn't be. It's one of the things I definitely like about Halloween. Strangers or neighbors? See I'm sure some people definitely see it as the latter, although sure modern life can be alienating. The part I don't like is that which is both commercialized and adult really.

I ate candy as a kid and I'm still alive. I was such a skrawny kid too but that was just from running around all the time, not from passing on the halloween candy. It was pretty much the only time of year I got candy, the rest of the year I had to settle for homemade cookies. Woah was me.

I had a coworker years ago who was the only person in our dept. who came in in costume on the day.One year, she had a meeting with our boss and HR. She insisted on going to the meeting in costume. Bad move. She was eventually fired.
    everywhere I worked some people have come in costumes on halloween. Exactly noone has ever lost their job over it, in fact the HR departments themselves often actively encourage it (amuse the employees on the cheap is how they see it probably). Now if the costumes is ridiculously suggestive or something, that is another matter, and might become an HR issue, but everyone knows you don't wear that to work pretty much.
    Trees don't grow on money

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I live in a 55+ community where trick or treating is not allowed. Yippee! I also hated it when I had kids. I really tried but the whole thing seemed stupid and overdone back then. Have you seen the price tags on some of these costumes?

I like the "adult" version of Halloween - dress up in a costume, go to a party or a club, dance with a few zombies and vampires, drink a smoking green concoction, dance with a few werewolves and Frankenstein's monsters. Oh and the candy - yes, I like the candy :-)! Don't have kids and don't enjoy decorating or handing out candy (MINE!!) so don't do that. And would rather it be a much less consumer driven holiday (started to see decorations and costumes in stores after July 4th! UGH.) as I do find all the hoopla pretty crazy. I also like horror movies so am just as contented staying home and watching some of those...alone...in the dark....

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Now if the costumes is ridiculously suggestive or something, that is another matter, .
    You mean you aren't planning on wearing your "slutty vampire French maid" costume to work? :-)! No one at my work (when I was working) ever wore costumes or decorated or brought in food or candy. I don't know if this was because I worked entirely with men (who didn't do anything for any holiday) or just the way it was a my work place. I know that some of the women who worked in the office (several miles away) dressed up, decorated and brought food and candy on Halloween though and I think it was OK - even at a government job.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    You mean you aren't planning on wearing your "slutty vampire French maid" costume to work? :-)!
    Just to be clear, there are aspects of this holiday I could get into...
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

As a child I didn't like trick or treating. It felt like begging. Dressing up for a party is fun, but I try to avoid going if I can. Yup, I'm a party pooper.

The after-Halloween candy sales are great though.

I enjoyed Halloween as a kid, it was/is a major holiday second to Christmas for them. So I've been fulfilling my end of the bargain as an adult and giving out candy every year. It only takes about $20 for candy and a few hours of my time, and seeing how very excited some of the little ones are is a highlight.

It doesn't bother me if older kids go trick or treating either - better than them getting into some kind of trouble somewhere. It's a pretty harmless tradition if you don't go overboard. Also a good time to meet and greet the younger neighbors, who are appreciative that their costumed kids have somewhere to go in the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Just to be clear, there are aspects of this holiday I could get into...
    Thought so :-)!

This Halloween I would like to do something spooky - visit an old New England graveyard kind of spooky. Probably won't (mainly because I doubt I'll be in New England) but it's a thought. I love old cemeteries and walking around them and would probably fun on Halloween. Besides that I'll have to rent some scary movies from Redbox.

One of our friends is hosting a costume hike which would be fun, but I should probably stick around to give out candy.
    I don't mind simple costumes or giving out candy, but I hate that most women's costumes are "sexy X". Sexy witch, sexy vampire, sexy ghost, etc. If I do anything it'll be Rosie The Riveter, cause screw "sexy". I mean, that's Valentine's Day. Though I suppose I could very weird and macabre and do sexy Ebola victim...

Thread Information