Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy real linen sheets?

Would you buy real linen sheets?

Do any of you sleep on real linen sheets? Are they better than cotton? Do they last longer? Thanks for any comments!!

I like high count crisp cotton. Can't stand flannel or silk. Is linen crisp or crisp to the point of scratchy? I don't really like wearing linen because of the care needed. My grandmothers may have but I don't ever intend to iron sheets. Don't know that I've ever noticed linen sheets at TJMaxx (where I usually buy my sheets).
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I have a few sets, as well as a number of tablecloths and napkins. I could never make them look as ironed or as crisp looking as cotton and even after sending them out for laundering, I had to iron the pillowslips!

Now they lie in the back of my walk in linen cupbard, unused, but I can't bear to part with them as they were wedding gifts! One day, which must come soon, I'll take them to my local hospice shop.

It's hard for me to visualize linen as sheets as I mostly associate it with clothing. But I suppose like cotton linen may actually have many different textures. Higher thread count isn't necessarily better for cotton, higher thread count is softer and possible more durable, but it's also warmer, somewhat lower thread count is better if the weather is hot and you want to keep as cool as possible. Little seems more important in summer.

I like linen as clothing as it keeps cool as clothing, but it's not very durable as clothing. Really I think I'd have to try out those linen sheets as they are hard to imagine. Also if anyone wants to buy me some silk sheets, I will be happy to receive them (silk is wonderful though not durable either)
    Trees don't grow on money

We do. I like them just as much as the flannel ones that we use in winter. I have some napkins, dishcloths and tablecloths too. I really do appreciate the aesthetic aspect of them but ... my favourite thing is the ritual of ironing linen - sprinkling them with water, rolling them and then ironing until they are nearly perfect is one of the most calming activities I know.

Thanks for the responses! I wanted to get a feel for what frugal people would do. Linen sheets tend to be two to three times as expensive as same thread count cotton; however, the websites say that they last many times longer. Also, you can get just flat sheets, not fitted so they can be turned and used for both top and bottom sheet--lasting longer. So if people on this forum could give feedback that definitely they last longer I would trust it more than the websites selling the linen sheets. Finally, there seem to be only about five to six purveyors of linen sheets, so I'd love a recommendation if someone had one. Ishbel, I am sure that someone will love finding those sheets when you drop them off--maybe give them another try, you may like them now. Thank you, thank you!

I have some very fine linen tablecloths--linen can indeed be spun and woven into varying textures and thicknesses of cloth.

I'd love linen sheets, especially for the summer, but the cost has prevented that so far.

I don't own anything linen (clothes-wise either) as I don't iron (don't even own an iron). But I'm not a fan of 100% cotton sheets either so buy a poly-cotton blend with a high thread count. They feel soft and sort of silky, don't wrinkle at all, breathable, and seem to last forever, plus they are very very inexpenseive to buy.

I love linen. I knit with it. My two favorite summer tank tops I made with a mixture of hand dyed linen and pima cotton. They are so cool and comfortable! No need to iron, and they dry super fast! I've never heard of linen sheets. I'll have to research them. Are they soft enough? I know my 100% linen pants are a little rough...

No I wouldn't buy linen sheets. They stain, and using bleach on them would be awful and would break down the fibers. I do like linen napkins and use them occasionally. I love the way they last forever, but they last forever because I don't use them often.

Cotton/poly sheets with a decent thread count are fine for me.

I remember seeing French linen vintage sheets on ebay and they were dreadfully expensive.

But the fabric itself, I love it. I love it's slickness when in a heavy weave.

Thread Information