Thread: EPA approves new crop herbicide

EPA approves new crop herbicide

Hoping all simpletons will pay attention to what you are eating...

From the Organic Consumers website:
    The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, ignoring more than 60 members of Congress and a half a million citizens, late yesterday approved a deadly new herbicide, Dow’s Enlist Duo, made from a combination of Monsanto’s Roundup and Dow’s “Agent Orange” 2,4-D. The new herbicide will be used on Dow’s newly approved corn and soy crops, engineered to withstand massive doses of the new “Deadly Duo” herbicide. Where will the vast percentage of these new crops go? To feed animals on factory farms.

With yesterday’s approval of Dow’s Enlist crops and Deadly Duo herbicide, the EPA, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which also signed off on the crops, have signaled that they have no intention of ending the rampant escalation of the use of increasingly toxic poisons by industrial agriculture.

The only way we will stop them is by shutting down demand for GMO crops. That will take millions of consumers switching to organic, non-GMO food at the supermarket—and that means boycotting meat, eggs and dairy from factory farms.

So Round-Up causes highly resistant weeds, and so the answer is to double down on chemicals. What will be next, after the next wave of weed-resistance?

When I looked it up online, I went to the Forbes website which calling Enlist Duo a great boon for Dow. It should make Dow a lot more money, so let's all get behind this bigger and better weed-killer, because, after all, the most important thing is corporate profits.

I'm wondering if there will come a time when we will be able to see past our noses. How long will it be before this country goes the way of the Middle East--once the Fertile Crescent and now a vast desert?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

A good thing to know. Our state's election has GMO labeling on the ballot. I think the common perception is GMO labeling is mostly for human consumption health and safety concerns. I see it as more of an environment threat with escalating pesticide use and further risk of monoculture crops with little genetic diversity.

They probably are hoping that this will kill off all the roundup resistant weeds. And then once they start getting weeds resistant to this they'll just get farmers to switch back to roundup...

This is why we don't eat much processed food, and renew our CSA subscription every year.

This makes me sick.

I also have been reading that the massive use of Roundup is a major factor in the declining Monarch butterfly population. No more milkweed.

Longtime I have heard the same thing....In am so saddened by this....

They should pay for this. In jail.

Thread Information