Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How Important Is Football?

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    I'll bet it's one of those books that has Football stats and player profiles, football schedules and things like that. Maybe even a book of quotes by Coach Lombardi. Better yet: a coupon book that is redeemable for delivery Pizza, just dripping with grease. I know I am right, so don't bother denying it. Thank Me.
    Thanks Pacman, I won't bother. Your ability to look right to the heart of any matter and fit it into whatever version of reality is currently residing in your mind is nothing short of remarkable. I'm in awe of your abilities!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Yes, it's about 10 miles from me so of course it's prominent in the local news. Horrifying. I completely agree that the entire football season should be suspended. From what I understand, this is completely ruining some of the junior/senior players' scholarship opportunities, and if some are innocents caught in the crossfire, I'm sorry, but that's the way it goes. I also think the coaches need to be held accountable, if it's true that they were hardly ever in the locker room supervising. How could this go on under their watch? However, their involvement is under investigation.

ETA: seems that there are many reasons coaches may not be constantly able to supervise in locker rooms. Some prohibit coaches from sharing locker room/bathrooms. Some schools are designed such that the coach's office might be down the hall and out of view of the locker room.
    Suspending the season was the right thing to do IMHO. (although I doubt it changes what goes on elsewhere) Not knowing what was going on, certainly seems like an admission of liability. (expect that, and the schools lawyers would have more of an effect on other places, by telling coaches about joint personal liability)

Here, we had a person that was severly hurt in a vehicle accident, after leaving a Chiefs game. There was a lawsuit filed against the organization, the NFL and Kansas City for promoting all the drinking and not having DUI checkpoints at the exits, etc. As quickly as it made the news it was all hushed up and no more could be found on it (I expect it was a quick settlement with a NDA).

"A school without Football is going to be nothing more than a Medieval study hall". That's according to Coach Lombardi.

I believe Vince Lombardi also said "Winning isn't the most important thing; it's the only thing." Clearly, he had issues.

Yes--Lombardi. To paraphrase one of his corny sayings, in his world---football wasn't the most important thing--it was the only thing! Which has got me to thinking--maybe if some of you pizza-loving football fanatics would contribute the startup capital--I could open up a franchise system of "Lombarrdee's Pizza" delivery places. The shareholders & I will not only be FI, but filthy rich. Maybe even own our own pro f-ball team. I intentionally spelled Lombardi differently, so I would hopefully avoid any claims of trading on the coaches name. Though it would be VERY ironic if his heirs or whomever contended it was "intellectual property". Ha.

"A school without Football is going to be nothing more than a Medieval study hall". That's according to Coach Lombardi.
    In that case maybe the libertarians are right, we need to close down all public schools.

What's wrong with that? Aren't kids supposed to study for/at school? Instead of playing games?

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'll be thinking of you during our game--and if I knew what you looked like, I'd search for you in the stands!
    I'll be the one in red.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    I'll be the one in red.
    Hey, I'll be watching for you! Not looking good for us. We are the underdogs for sure, and after last week's game against Ohio State we'll be loyal fans and watch but…. (we lost $50 betting on Rutgers with the 21-point spread last week, and this week's game has the same spread, so I think we'll keep our money this time)

Enjoy!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

You kids know what? The U of I football coach is by far THE highest-paid public employee in the state of Iowa! U of I trains Doctors, Lawyers, Scientists, Educators, and other highly-skilled professionals. But, THE MOST IMPORTANT, most highly-valued program on the Campus is football. Yup. This is football season, right? And it is Saturday, which is the day college ball is played, right? But, guess what? No Game Today! Day off. UNBELIEVEABLE, how public resources are squandered on this make-believe sport! For the money they put in into it, the infrastructure and so on, they should be playing 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year, rain or shine! Thanks for agreeing with Me.

Thread Information