Thread: A LOT of cherry tomatoes-ideas?

A LOT of cherry tomatoes-ideas?

We are still getting plenty of cherry tomatoes. In past years I've grown more slicing and roma types which are easier to peel and freeze or dry. Ideas? I might just wash and freeze whole or halved to throw in soup but the freezer space is at a premium with autumn meat shares.

I cook them down in the crock pot and then run the whole kit 'n' caboodle through our food mill to take the skins off. With the resulting tomato sauce/juice we make chili. Yummers. Probably not worth buying a food mill unless you already have one, though.

ETA: The skins of cherry tomatoes are tougher than others. I really dislike them in cooked dishes, though they are ok fresh.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

We roast our cherry tomatoes with some onion and garlic and run the whole mess through the blender to make pizza sauce. We then freeze it in small batches for winter use. I rarely notice the skins, but YMMV.
    The brain is wider than the sky. -- Emily Dickinson

Snacks. Mix some garlic powder and onion powder and dash of salt. Wrap the cherry tomato in a basil leaf, dip in the salt mixture and pop in your mouth!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I cut them in half and dehydrate for winter use of "sun dried" tomatoes.

They make the best pico de gallo (cold fresh salsa), for eating now. Sorry, don't know of any preservation methods for them. (But if I had a bunch of them right now this late in the season, I'd go with herbgeek's idea and dehydrate them.)

I made a cherry tomato galette which was very successful and everyone loved it! Used quite a few of them.

I also have a dressing I like to use on halved cherry tomatoes which uses rice vinegar. Then just serve it as a side or salad.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information