Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's that time of year--turning on the heat?

It's that time of year--turning on the heat?

We usually have a thread somewhere about when you make the decision to finally turn the heat on as the days get colder.

So it's been getting down to the 40s at night here, but the inside of the house is staying around 59, so I've just been layering on more clothes.

My yearly goal is to wait until at least October 15 before turning on the heat, although there have been a few years where I haven't made it. And once I hit October 15, I try for November 1.

This year, I think I'll get to the 15th, but it's been so chilly, I may just have to turn the heat on in the evenings before we get to November.

What's the weather like where you are?

rodeosweetheart
    We have already turned on the heat in northern Michigan where we are, but that's because the cold air aggravates my asthma at night. Otherwise, we would be fine, it's just not worth waking up three and four times a night gasping for air.

But it has been warming up during the day, and won't begin to need it in earnest until late October/early November.

I've turned on the heat twice over the last 10 days or so. Both times my wife discovered my actions within an hour and turned it back off, but not before my toes had warmed.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Our temp inside the house has gotten down to 61 a couple of times and I posed the "Should we do it?" question to DH both times and he vetoed me and went to the garage to get the little electric space heater to tide me over in my tiny office. So, we still have not turned on the gas heat, but I've given myself a few blasts of heat when I've needed it from the little space heater.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Turned the heat on, (down to 30's at night a week or so ago), turned the air back on a couple of days ago. Nothing on right now; after storms pass probably back to heat. It is SO changeable right now.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

I've already turned it on, mainly due to checking it all works (age of furnace verses trying to get a service person when it starts to get busy). Only a couple of nights have been down to around 40, but at this point, better safe then sorry.

It's still warm here in Southern California. It's been in the 90's during the day. The nights and mornings are cooler, but not cold. I am finishing up an alpaca/merino wool throw to use in the living room while I'm knitting. I am wearing my thick wool socks and Uggs slippers again. Winter is my favorite time of year! I probably won't need to use the heat until November. (We have very long, HOT Summers!)

Hot up here in Northern CA too. If I had AC, I'd have it on!
    85 degrees out and they're repaving all the roads in town.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Every year since moving to Maine I try to make it to Nov. 1st but haven't made it yet. It has been down to 58 inside in the mornings but warming up during the days and next few days are supposed to be warm, so maybe this will be my year!

Heating oil is my fourth biggest expense for the year, after health insurance/health care, mortgage and property taxes. Yikes. House is old and poorly insulated and I think I could do much better if I got a woodstove installed, but have trouble deciding whether the up-front expense would be worth it . . . Also concerned about woodstove safety -- I am going to start a separate post on that!

I noticed the pool heater kicked on yesterday, it's a heat pump, I like to keep the water at 87. Since I've moved down to SW Florida I'm looking forward to winter.

Thread Information