Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any reason to keep these?

This popped up in my FB feed today..

Need a bathroom medicine chest? This one is a repurposed suitcase.

http://inhabitat.com/recycled-suitca...room-vanities/
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

That's really cute catherine. I wonder what the rest of their house is like?

I have a really cute suitcase that I had as a little girl that I used for every vacation I ever went on. I have incorporated it into my decorating scheme here in our little cabin. It's very vintage looking and works as storage too. Everything I have in this little place has to serve a purpose as well as being decorative....

This thread reminds me that I need to twist DH's arm to get out that old 1940's suitcase he has in the attic and donate it to the next Antique fundraiser. Those things are super hot right now.Samsonite--not so much.

and like PP I have often wondered why it took us so long to put wheels on suitcases. Crazy, that we used to haul those giant things around by lifting them.

But Americans were thinner then.

hmmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    catherine......I was thinking the same thing.........why so long with the wheels?! I do have a very old red suitcase.......probably my Grandpap's too. In it I found my jr-high gym suit! (circa 1963) You wouldn't believe it. It's a one piece thing with short legs with elastic around them. Whenever you'd lift your arms, the leg parts would go up to your crotch. Now THAT'S an antique. hahaha

I think I'll pass on the underbed thing. I've worked hard for a long time to not resort to keeping stuff under the bed. It turns into dust monsters! hahaha
    I remember those gym suits, they were 100% cotton and one piece. Ours were blue.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lily View Post
    This thread reminds me that I need to twist DH's arm to get out that old 1940's suitcase he has in the attic and donate it to the next Antique fundraiser. Those things are super hot right now.Samsonite--not so much.

and like PP I have often wondered why it took us so long to put wheels on suitcases. Crazy, that we used to haul those giant things around by lifting them.

But Americans were thinner then.

hmmmm.....
    I think a mix of reasons. Thinner, could be in the mix or it could be as much both cause and effect at the same time. But look at old suitcases and their construction. Wheels might not have worked so well, and at the same time, we packed less. Tougher construction and we started cramming more, or we thought we needed more (NSFW, George Carlin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac ) Then as you said, less made it easier to carry, we got more exercise, were also in better shape, due to war conditions (coming out of depression, not eatting too much, things being restricted, soldiers unwanted exercising).

I have an old suitcase for storage - love it because it has a hard side and a handle for carrying stuff. Very useful.

Thread Information