Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: daily cost of your housing

Interesting to look at it this way ~ when I don't have a housemate, my townhouse rental (in a co-op community) costs me $16.00 per day in rent. Add in the electric bill for another approx. $30 per month for a total of $46 per day (I am not including my internet bill because that is a luxury, not a necessity). But when I decide to rent out my extra bed room, my per day cost of my portion of the rent goes down to...get this...$5.25 per day! Maybe I should rethink how long I am going to go roommate-free this time. I AM enjoying having my digs to myself for right now, but I have to say, even being such the introvert and loner that I am, I am finding myself missing my last roommate and his cat. My cat misses his cat, I can tell! She spent the last week following me around everywhere and meowing, and is confused that no one is stealing her food out of her bowl!

I love this question.
    $48.66 for our family of 2

If I get rid of our house payments, we get down to $11.63 a day plus whatever additional taxes we pay for no longer having a mortgage deduction. FWIW.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I get to be the outlier here at $108/day. We live in one of the most expensive cities in the country. But in the big scheme of things it makes sense. SO's salary would be significantly lower anywhere else because it's based on 1) the cost of living here, and 2) the size of the hotel that he works at. He makes enough more here than he would anywhere else (except somewhere like NYC) than our total housing costs.

Roughly $64 per day. A few years ago we re-mortgaged the house to pay off our daughter's school loans and have approximately 3 years left on that note. Once it's out of the way we should be in the $28 per day range.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

When I bought this older, remodeled mobile home in a 55+ park I did the back of the envelope math, and between the fact that I paid $5,500 for it, the lower lot rent and utilities I could hand the keys over to the park after 2 years and be slightly ahead of the costs of rent and utilities in the apartment. Didn't count the difference in commute as the apartment was 1/4 mile from work and I'm 17 miles now. I just didn't like apartment living.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

Ours pencils out at about $20/day. Two people, no mortgage, small-town flyover country.

Right about $40/day: rent, renters' insurance, electricity and internet access, all other utilities are included in rent.

Thread Information