Thread: A Case Of The Blahs...

A Case Of The Blahs...

The winter hibernation thing is getting a hold on me even earlier this year. I just don't feel like going anywhere or doing much of anything outside of my house now that I have it to myself once again. I am feeling a bit isolated socially but I can't seem to muster up the energy to do anything, like play music or go out and sing. There is a jam I could go to tonight and I tell myself I "should" just to get out of the house, but it is just sooooo easy to hole up here. There isn't even snow on the ground yet and I'm acting like it's the middle of winter!

I guess I am feeling very tired lately. I do need to remember that I am still battling the effects of a nasty cold, work is getting even more strenuous as the holidays draw near, customer service is draining, and I've been spending a lot of time on my little business. It is hard for me to create balance in my life, it always has been. I'm a little worried that my habit of isolating so much is really taking a hold and toll on me but getting up the mental energy to do anything about it seems really impossible right now, tonight.

How do you stop from spiraling into old patterns when it feels insurmountable to do anything to change them? I'm pretty sure I am going to have another yet Netflix night, just me and the cat huddled under my cozy down quilt...I'm not sure I know if there is an answer, because most of the time I am pretty okay just being this way...

SiouzQ--
    Embrace the blues! Your body is trying to tell you something! You sound like you have a really full plate. You MUST carve out some "Me time," even if your hardworking ancestors would shake their heads at you. The world nowadays has gotten harder, and everyone seems to take it out on each other. I work in a library, so I know from customer service (we call them "patrons"-same dif).

Last winter was so cold, so downright HARD, that I have been in just the same kind of funk. The predictions of yet another one is just too much to handle. I am glad you have a furry someone to cuddle with--better than me! But I do know the comforts of a good movie and a warm blankie. I'm not sure if it's SADD, or just some ancient genetic memory that makes me settle down through the winter, but I do prepare for it by loading up on splendid books and movies, and pulling out the comforter (already!).

I don't know about you, but I am already planning on winter--have since the calendar turned to October (it's 78 today here in Boston-go figure). Still, everyone I know is bracing for impact, so your exhaustion is quite understandable. If need be, get one of those SADD lights, although I'm not sure how helpful they are. And curl up with your kitten and watch all the secret crappy movies you've ever wanted to watch. You work hard! You certainly deserve a break!
    Susan

I think what you're feeling is natural. I usually let my chicken out at 5:00 p.m. to free range. Now she is already up on her perch at that time, asleep! My pot bellied pig used to go to bed at 4:30 p.m. in the winter. Once she finished her dinner, she curled up and went to bed. I think it's healthy, too.
    We have mild winters here, but it's my favorite time of year! I love everything about it: how it gets dark earlier, the chill in the air, the dark mornings, etc. It just feels cozy to me. I haven't felt like taking the 7:30 a.m. bus to go swimming lately, either. So, I leave a little later, and run my errands when it's sunny. I also cheated and had an extra cup of coffee today. I need a little kick start to get out and run the dogs...
    I say enjoy it! The body needs more sleep this time of year.

I was going to edit to add that mood-wise, I don't feel depressed or anything. It's really just a severe lack of energy on my days off, which makes sense actually. When I am working the deli counter at a busy Wholefoods I expend a tremendous amount of energy; I am one of those people who can't be still for a moment if there is something to be done. So it makes total sense that on my day off I just want to veg out so bad (in my defense, I did go for a nice fall walk today and took a lot of really cool pictures. I ran errands, and mailed off $1000 worth of my jewelry for a show in Los Alamos, NM). But I never get all the things done that I set out to do on a day off. I am getting a little easier on myself as I get older. I end up prioritizing my chores and will put off anything that really doesn't need to be done.

I have been working on making self-care even more important so that I CAN do all the things I want to do. I have to realize I just can't pack it all in like I could even five years ago. My 53 year old body takes longer to recover from stressful days, I guess. I aim to get minimum of six hours of sleep per night, but sometimes I fall short and only get five. I usually have to be up by 5am and at work by 6am, so that involves a lot of coffee. I am not willing at this point in my life to give up so much coffee as I physically and psychologically need it to function in the morning. I have been trying to get my walks in but am not as vigorous about it as I am in the summer when I have loads of energy. I've been thinking about getting my winter gym membership renewed and making that commitment to myself, but the mere thought of adding yet another thing to my schedule is exhausting me!

I get 8-9 hrs a night. I have always needed that amount. I wouldn't be worried about it. Your own time is yours ... No expectations.

Set yourself social time one day a week. Considering how much else you have going on that shouldn't be too much but it will also avoid it being too little. That way too you can tell yourself that you have done your part and not be eaten up by guilt all the rest of the week.

Do get enough sleep. Not getting enough eats at your immune system. Also, not sleeping enough leads to higher levels of cortisol. That will make you feel more stressed and eats at your patience and tolerance. Which in turn leads to even higher stress levels. Also you will probably hit caffeine tolerance soon, where it becomes far less effective and you will need more of it. And high caffeine consumption is a bad idea for your heart. Last thing you need is to develop problems in that area.

I never thought of my job in a library as "customer service" oriented, but dang, yes, it is!

Thread Information