Thread: Are Russet potatoes, really russet potatoes?

Are Russet potatoes, really russet potatoes?

I had finished a bag of potatoes today and was searching on the plastic bag, if it was recyclable. (it wasn't..)
    The bag is labeled "Idaho Russet potatoes". But I just noticed a small statement on the back. It says "This bag contains other delicious varieties." Huh?
    Are they russet? Are they from Idaho? Hmmm.....I think I'll give them a call.

rodeosweetheart
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I had finished a bag of potatoes today and was searching on the plastic bag, if it was recyclable. (it wasn't..)
    The bag is labeled "Idaho Russet potatoes". But I just noticed a small statement on the back. It says "This bag contains other delicious varieties." Huh?
    Are they russet? Are they from Idaho? Hmmm.....I think I'll give them a call.
    We've been eating our own potatoes that we grew. I have noticed that the yellow yukons did a lot better than the russets. I don't even like russet potatoes. Maybe next year, just grow your own?
    I love finding them in the ground, sort of like an Easter Egg hunt!

Let us know what you find out CathyA.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

Since the potatoes are from Idaho there is a good chance they are Russet because that's about 99% of what they grow there.

I grow Yukon Gold because they have a shorter growing season that works well here in Kansas where it gets hot by the end of May. I also like a more waxy potato (Yukon Gold is one variety) than a starchy potato (Russet). They each have their place on the table, but they each work differently when making mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, or making potato salad.

Thread Information