Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Should Not Be Happening

This Should Not Be Happening

It's October 21. In Nebraska. This is what I picked for dinner last night as I was walking around the garden. We should be down to onions, some kale, winter squash, sage... This is a June harvest and this post should probably be in the Environmental forum because of that. The forecast is for every day to be around 70* for the foreseeable future. Whether it's climate change or just the nicest weather anywhere on the planet its hard to complain. Ratatouille anyone?

IMG_0086[1].jpg
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

That is a beautiful harvest!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

We've had the killing frost, so the softer crops (tomatoes, etc.) are pretty much gone from the farmer's markets. But we also have been enjoying daily highs in the 60s -- about 10-15 degrees above average. Typically we have a lawn-coating sprinkle of snow before Halloween. There's still time for that (it could happen next week; this is Minnesota). But we certainly are enjoying some bonus days now.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Oh wow Gregg........lucky you! What beautiful stuff you have there. (we need to talk onions sometime). But.......it IS disconcerting for what it might mean concerning the environment. Oh well..........just enjoy it now!
    My garden is kaput. (central Indiana), except for a few very strange looking pole beans left.

Yeah, that pic is gorgeous! Enjoy it!

My mizuna is a bush. I can't eat it fast enough. And my kale and collards are doing fine still. But that's about it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

LOL.......my stocktank veggie gardens in the back yard are also pretty much done. And......the back one I put on bales of straw is leaning because the straw is decomposing. haha..........got to figure out what to do before it slides off.

That's weird....I had my first green bean crop failure in decades. I mean I have NEVER had a crop fail like this. Blossoms and foliage, but no beans. THEN, suddenly, 2 weeks ago, in October, they started coming. We've been eating fresh green beans every day.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

just enjoy it while it lasts! February will be here soon enough!!

That's weird....I had my first green bean crop failure in decades. I mean I have NEVER had a crop fail like this. Blossoms and foliage, but no beans. THEN, suddenly, 2 weeks ago, in October, they started coming. We've been eating fresh green beans every day.
    certain plants won't set fruit if it's too hot (was it that hot there? it was here!)
    Trees don't grow on money

Kay.........I had that happen here for several summers in the past when it was just too hot all summer. Such a bummer, to have beautiful foliage ......but no beans! This summer (with cooler temps) we finally had beans again. I guess they know somehow that it's not a decent world (temp-wise) to bring their progeny into, so they don't waste their energy. (Or maybe it's just too hot for them to reproduce??). It's interesting how different plants in the garden react differently to different conditions. In past sweltering summers, my tomatoes and cucs loved the heat.....but the beans just gave up.

Thread Information