Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum siding - would you paint?

Thanks everyone for chiming in!

I don't want to remove the siding for the reasons so well-put by goldensmom. I think it might structurally damage the house, and anyhow, the siding is in fine condition.

RCWRTR - thanks so much for offering your expertise! I'll see if I can get a picture posted.

The siding was put on at least 30 years ago and is dull and chalky - if you touch it a white residue comes off. I'm sure washing would help somewhat, but I'm really not crazy about the color. I usually like to wait a year before making any big decisions about a house, but I have found that making a cosmetic change is easier to do when you are moving in. There is so much money being thrown around that an extra couple of thousand dollars to make the house look really pretty seems very reasonable, whereas a year on I'm feeling more tight-fisted - and I really do want a home that makes me smile when I look at it.

I am seeing that paint on aluminum lasts anywhere from 5-25 years depending on preparation and type of paint used, and from my research there is some disagreement among experts on what type of primer, or if a primer is even necessary. So I'll need to find a really experienced painter and get a great warrantee! I do not want to paint every 5 years. As it needs to be sprayed (not brushed) I would not be able to do it myself. I've pretty much decided to paint - I will post a picture when I get a chance and get some feedback.

I'm not that interested in adding shutters and what not - it really is the basic color that's the problem for me. (Though I do want to get a more attractive screen door...)
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Gardenarian, I am not sure that the siding need to be spray painted. After you talk to some painters, I think you might feel better about how long it will last. Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing the before pictures!

I also don't understand the must-be-sprayed comment. I do know that sprayed paint does not last as long as brushed paint. I also know that most of the cost in getting a house painted is in the labor (prep, particularly) and that brushing usually takes longer than spraying. Lots of seemingly-contradictory choices....
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Sprayed typically lasts as long when done in controlled environments (think production, cars in body shops, etc). You would have to ask your painter about it otherwise (normally sprayed requires more paint, due to loss).
    Your still going to have to wash the house, as part of the prep, though.

The painter rolled then brushed the paint on our aluminum siding recently. There was no spraying involved.

Hmm- I agree that with wood or stuccos it is better to use a brush, buy everything I've read about aluminum says that you'll get a better-looking and longer lasting finish if you spray. But I've never dealt with aluminum before.
    Anyhow, I don't want to DIY!

Here's a picture (I'm thinking a butter yellow?)
    [IMG][/IMG]
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

cute house Gardenarian, love that big tree out front. Yellow would be nice. No room for shutters that's for sure.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I also don't understand the must-be-sprayed comment. I do know that sprayed paint does not last as long as brushed paint. I also know that most of the cost in getting a house painted is in the labor (prep, particularly) and that brushing usually takes longer than spraying. Lots of seemingly-contradictory choices....
    I've known of people to roll/brush paint their house whatever the siding material. As for the method and does the paint 'stick', I don't think the method matters with advancements in paint technology over the past few years. In our case, it took the painter and 3 helpers 4 days to prep the house (wash, dry, paint trim, remove shutters, cover chimney, cover windows, trim back grass and trees, cover plants, caulk around doors, necessary repairs and things I've probably forgot) and 1 day to spray paint. At $60-$70/ gallon the paint is expensive but yes, the major cost is the time and labor (which depends on the number of people) to prep.

Our house is pale yellow and we've loved it for 40 years...it's vinyl siding. I think yellow on your new house would be lovely.

Thread Information