Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminum siding - would you paint?

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    IL: Please tell more about Hardy Board. I've been seeing some type of synthetic clapboard this past year that looks really good. Is this it? I hate traditional aluminum and vinyl, but the maintenance of our cedar shingles is becoming a burden, and we currently have a crazy woodpecker pecking holes in our house!
    I spelled it wrong, it is "Hardie" board, after the maker James Hardie. It looks good, good enough that the historic preservation districts allow it. I guess it is long lasting. It comes in different widths and patterns.

http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner...nkLapSiding.py

I would have the siding power washed first. It brightens it up and then if you want to paint it the paint will adhere better. I think siding doesn't expand and contract as much as wood, so the repainting isn't as often. We painted our aluminum storm windows at least 20 years ago and the paint has stayed on quite well. We used something from Sears as a primer- gutter grip I think it was called, but I'm not sure it was necessary. Good luck.

We've had our aluminum sided house painted twice, once 25 years ago and last summer. There are new paints for aluminum siding (Sherwin Williams) with a 20 year warranty. We were pleased the first time and pleased the second time. I think a good wash is the the key to a good paint job. The painter who painted our house washed the house with something that would make the paint adhere better.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Ok, I have to ask since I don't understand: If you are going to PAINT aluminum siding, why not tear it off and reveal the original wood, and paint that?
    I can answer that question from our experience. Our house is 100+ with aluminum siding over the old wood siding. The old wood siding was not in good shape which is why it was sided in the 60's. Also the insulation factor....there was none so the house was insulated over the wood siding then the aluminum siding was put on. Another reason to paint aluminum rather that remove and paint old wood siding is cost. It would have cost much more to remove and dispose the aluminum then repair, prep and paint the original wood so the frugal us went with paint the existing aluminum siding.

If I were to get aluminum siding I would be absolutely committed to not painting it, ever, since that's one of the big benefits of it. DH is all about getting our house sided, and if we do, it's going to be white. Every color has its day, and I would insist on a timeless color, and since I don't think there are any timeless colors, it would have to be white.

Also, I'd be inclined to get the cement fiber board, such as the kind iris lilies mentioned. I plan on mentioning Hardie to DH once we get to that point (if we ever do). He'll probably push back because I'm thinking aluminum siding is less expensive, but I prefer the fiber board.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I strongly suggest that you get used to the blue-gray color. You just moved, and that is enough change for awhile. Why go to all the trouble, just because.....? If the paint was flaking off, and in dire need of repainting, it could be justified. Sorry if that seems harsh.

I wouldn't paint it, although I think my question has been answered. (wondered if special paint was needed) I do agree with the door, window trim (if unsided), shutters, accessories, options. Also washing it, may make a bigger difference then you think.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    If I were to get aluminum siding I would be absolutely committed to not painting it, ever, since that's one of the big benefits of it. DH is all about getting our house sided, and if we do, it's going to be white. Every color has its day, and I would insist on a timeless color, and since I don't think there are any timeless colors, it would have to be white.

Also, I'd be inclined to get the cement fiber board, such as the kind iris lilies mentioned. I plan on mentioning Hardie to DH once we get to that point (if we ever do). He'll probably push back because I'm thinking aluminum siding is less expensive, but I prefer the fiber board.
    There comes a time when aluminum siding get old. We have lived in this house 27 years and the people before who knows how long? I think having to paint it now shows how great it has been.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    There comes a time when aluminum siding get old. We have lived in this house 27 years and the people before who knows how long? I think having to paint it now shows how great it has been.
    No, that's true--and I'm sure a fresh coat of paint after 3 decades can do a world of good. If I sided my house now, I'm sure I would never live to see it when it needed a new paint job. I just think if I got siding it would ONLY be to save having to paint my house every 10 years.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Congratulations on your new home! Don't know if you will have neighbors or not, but we keep certain things on the outside of the home for the sake of all of the neighborhood house values. Just a thought...

Thread Information