Thread: costco sausages...or any sausages

costco sausages...or any sausages

I'm always enticed by Costco sausages....chicken and apple, Kale and chicken and what not...but they never as exciting or satisfying as what I feel I might get. Maybe, I just don't like that type of sausage. If you get these types of sausage, what do you do with them? What do cook them as? Recipes? Treatments? Ideas?

ajpplegate organics supported the failed CA GMO labeling initiative so I decided to try their sausage products to return the favor. I like their chicken/turkey sausages, my favorite is apple chicken because it's sweet (maybe it tastes just like the costco ones, I don't' know, it is organic). I'll eat it plain as I do like the taste, or as a fake hot dog in a bun with some mustard or in canned baked beans (faking 'beans and franks'), or on the side for breakfast with fried potatoes. Sausages tends to overwhelm soup so all you taste is sausage so I don't usually add them to the soup pot. Other than that I've tried beef sausages from the farmers market that sells grass fed beef. Those are tasty as well. I sauteed onions, bell peppers, and beef sausages (removed the casing) in some olive oil (a mediterranean inspired though not exactly authentic stir fry). Sausages aren't particularly healthy, really best seen as a treat food not a staple (but they are an easy protein if you can't think of anything else, and easy to freeze and then thaw in the oven).
    Trees don't grow on money

I have family members that are big into the flavored sausages. Usually they just have them on a bun. I like to have sides with my sausages, especially considering the caloric bombs that they are. They sides usually defeat the whole purpose of the flavored sausage.

I'm a sausage freak. I love a great steak, but of the top 10 steaks I've had in my life all were good and they all tasted roughly the same. No two sausages are the same. You can slice them up and pan fry them until they are good and brown and serve that with dipping sauces. Chop one up fine and add it to soup. Sausage and potatoes are like beer and pizza. I had a piece of apple pie once that had small pieces of the chicken apple sausages that had been steamed in apple juice, jalapenos and cheese in it. Sounds like the most disgusting thing imaginable, right? It was amazing. Let your imagination go wild.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

Thread Information