Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative gift ideas for infants

Alternative gift ideas for infants

I'd really appreciate any ideas you folks might have about this; I'm getting myself all anxious thinking about it!

My husband & I have just had our first child and I can already envisage the piles & piles of toys & clothing that his very kind-hearted grandparents will give him at Christmas. Already at 19 days old he has more clothes than he'll ever be able to wear & more stuffed animals than he could ever care for.

We'd like to suggest alternative gifts that our parents could get our son, but since he'll only be a few months old we're finding it difficult to generate any good ideas, particularly in terms of experience-centred gifts. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you so much.

You could ask each relative to make one block of a sensory quilt provided that they can sew a little. The can use fabrics that will provide a different feeling for each block, I.e., velvet, long haired fleece from Malden Mills online, different things he can feel...then ask the best sewer of the group to seeing all together as a quilt and to put a tag on the back saying made with love. Finished on date.....by: all of the names of the participants.

Where's the like button, because I think that's a really good idea tussie.

Family portraits also come to mind. My dd got an unlimited visit package at a studio for the first year. She'd go in once a month for the "growing" pics and then added in some for special events, like holidays.

Real Books! The reading sessions are good experiences for the child. Lots of kids books have unique textures, pop-ups, etc.

Tussies idea is wonderful, as is the portrait club -- a win, win for everyone

I really used these RockABye Baby cd's a lot when the kids were infants/little and I still put them on when kids want to relax:
    www.rockabyebabymusic.com

If they want to give you clothes that will last through several kids & have decent resale, try Zutano brand, www.zutano.com
    Yes, very expensive - but you can wash them a gazillion times and they hardly wear out - between my sister & I we got like 3-4 kids through a Zutano piece before they finally wore out

We got SO much mileage out of this $10 duck
    http://www.target.com/p/munchkin-whi...b/-/A-10209874
    baby bath on counter, toddler baths in tub, now it holds my daughter's 'stuffies' in her room
    (my son killed his when he discovered he could ride it down the stairs- hmmm)

We often referred relatives to www.fatbraintoys.com since we live apart and they would want gifts that could be shipped
    Again - not cheap, but the stuff seemed to last and kids enjoyed it

These are more for the future, but here are some things my kids enjoyed through their smaller years:
    - memberships to area children's museum/science/living history museums
    - www.forsmallhands.com - they loved having 'adult' things in smaller sizes
    - my son loved, loved, loved Playmobil sets through about 8/9 years old
    we got one relative going on the Roman playsets and they were off to the races with that for years
    It was sweet because my son called then 'Row Mans' since they 'Row'ed a boat
    http://www.playmobil.us/on/demandwar...gle%2FUS%2FGMF

Congratulations!

Dhiana beat me to it, but my preferred children's gift period is a book.

Books are always great! So many really good ones!

What do you need? I would tell them what you told us. What kind of experiences do you have in mind? It's tricky, because sometimes parents are very specific about what they want, and the grandparent doesn't agree or approve. My SIL wanted some very expensive wooden toys from Germany for her sons. My mother wouldn't buy them. Hopefully you don't have that kind of dynamic...I've just noticed that's become trendy now with weddings, etc.

I can see why you don't want any more toys or stuffed animals. Most of us here are getting rid of clutter. I've always liked the Burt's Bees products. They have a nice baby line. My neighbor just had a baby, and I asked her if she'd like me to knit something. She was thrilled. (She doesn't have any hand knit baby stuff.) I had her pick out the color and made her a baby sweater. She said she'd also like booties, a blanket, and hand mitts.

Under a couple years, gift cards. That way parents can buy Diapers, toys, etc. as needed, since those with kids tend to exchange clothes, etc. as the kids grow. (unless your the first kid in the group of friends you run with)
    Kids can grow out of clothes, before getting into them, with the number of clothes I have seen some people buy.
    For the toys and stuff the grandparents want to buy, my view is let them as they will be staying there, for the kid to play with when there.

One of my friend's go-to baby shower gift was a basket with medical and safety-related items: a baby thermometer, tiny nail clippers, electric outlet covers, diaper rash cream, etc. I also think a book on general baby care is a good idea especially for new parents, and pair it with a vinyl bathtub time book for baby.

I know that's not experience-related, but it could really come in handy.

Thread Information