Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternative gift ideas for infants

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    One of my friend's go-to baby shower gift was a basket with medical and safety-related items: a baby thermometer, tiny nail clippers, electric outlet covers, diaper rash cream, etc. I also think a book on general baby care is a good idea especially for new parents, and pair it with a vinyl bathtub time book for baby.

I know that's not experience-related, but it could really come in handy.
    Oh that's a great idea! What a nice and useful gift!

rodeosweetheart
    It is not experience-centered gifts (and some great ideas here, btw) but I opened up a brokerage account, an UGMA, for my grandson and will do same for grandbaby number 2 who arrives at Christmas.

I figure some day I can show them the stocks I buy for them, and they will feel empowered. So until that day, I keep gifts small and fun, and put the money away for them for when they are older and can use it to have an easier start as adults with some money in the bank.

My family did this with savings bonds for kids' gifts. It was wonderful--cashed them out in college for the kids and it meant a lot to them then, thinking of their relatives saving this money for them and buying the bonds, so that someday, they could use it for college.

So for my grandson;s birthday, he got 2 shares of Apple.
    Last edited by rodeosweetheart; 11-5-15 at 6:48pm.

mira, I had missed the happy news! Congratulations! I am so glad you asked this question - I am starting to think of it as well as our little man is now six months old.

So many awesome ideas!

rodeosweetheart, on your financial theme, my parents gave us money to start a 529 fund (a college savings fund) for our sweet, but I think another step further for a great gift would have been for someone to research and recommend a fund. I haven't done anything with the money yet because there are so many to choose from. I know you are not in the US, mira, but you get the idea . . . so many financial products and so little brain power leftover for such decisions with a little one in the house. So I think a nice gift could be for someone to recommend a savings-type fund, let mom and dad open it, and then provide contributions.

Once I figure it out (soon is the goal), I think I am going to let people know that any money gifts will probably go into this fund at least until he is old enough to want to buy himself some things, then we can reassess. I used to blow all the money my grandparents used to send me and there was no reason we couldn't have placed a portion of it aside. But one thing I was thinking was to encourage family to also send along a note or card with hopes or dreams or love for his future, and make a book of them, and that they know that's what we're doing with the notes. I think at least for my in-laws, they feel some sadness in knowing they (most likely) won't see sweet boy graduating from high school or college - they are already 76 and 80. It is possible, but unlikely. So I think they'd like to know that someday he'd be able to read all of their love notes to him. Oh, that makes me a little sad.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Also, we used sokindregistry.org to compile ideas for his shower, and it was great. We could collect ideas from all the different places around the web into one place. I can private message you the registry link if you are interested, just let me know if you want to see it.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    My grandchildren have one grandmother who loved to shop, and it isn't me. We buy a book and have a nice 529 account set up for each grandchild. Each birthday and Christmas they get a nice deposit and we are amazed at how these accounts are growing.

Maybe be you could hint at how nice it would be if you had help building up a college fund or future fund for the baby.

I can't say enough good things about the beauty of a 529...
    I am very blessed to have 2 parents contributing on a yearly basis (along with our contributions) and it is such a help!

My son is 10 now and we use it to teach the beauty of compounded interest working FOR you!
    I have been on the other dark side of compounded interest against you and being on the plus side is SOOOOOOO much better.

Quote Originally Posted by fidgiegirl View Post
    sokindregistry.org
    this is such a neat site!

Thank you all so much for your great ideas! I really love the idea of the quilt but unfortunately there is only one somewhat crafty person in our families

Great toy ideas as well, and books are always a winner. Starting a little savings account is probably wise too! A medical supplies basket would be an excellent gift. We already have that stuff but I'd definitely get one for the next person I know who has a baby.

Thanks fidgiegirl! I didn't make an announcement on here. Kind of forgot in the midst of everything! Love that registry idea.

So far I've asked our parents for a bouncy chair and some baby pants. Those are the only material things we really want. I wonder if asking my mum to come help me out once or twice a week would be out of the question...

I read an article recently that showed that if a grandparent put money into a 529 instead of giving gifts that the child would have approximately $8000 at age 18. This was based on $150 for each birthday and holiday (just one holiday per year). The astounding fact was that the average student would pay about $16000 if they borrowed $8000 on a student loan, thus making the gift that much more valuable. DH and I have already decided that this is the direction that we will take if/when we have grandchildren.

Hi Mira congrats on your baby!!I can relate to you I've had my baby and he is 11 weeks old. This is my third but kind of my first after my second one just had his 16th birthday. So lets say we are starting again. All these years later I have the same dilemma of too much stuff. The gifts will certainly subside soon as now we are tapering down. It's family's way of showing love with toys and clothes just accept them and eventually you can resell or donate to help other infants in need. I just have two bags, one with a size bigger he'll grow into and one with grown out ones that most likely I'll sell on craigslist or ebay in bulk. I went to Goodwill by the CD section and found so many lullaby cds for 89.cents ( I found rock abybaby coldplay which is awesome!). A gymboree book also 89 cents with ideas for playtime. I go to costco and buy the kirkland brand diapers because they are priced well and they are most absorbant and dont cause rashes. I also formula feed due to my health issues I couldnt breast feed due to taking many medications, so I buy at costco Similac sensitive it's over a pound of powdered formula , 50 percent more for costco and priced around $30 plus the 5 dollar coupon each week I get from the manufacturer.So it's $25 etc. With this one what is important to not stress over your concerns, it's better to have and not need than need and not have so to speak. Just request the essentials, extra toys and clothes can be stored in bins and ask for bigger sizes . I got alot of nice things many sizes bigger because babies grow so fast.Remember if mommy is happy baby is happy. They pick up on that. Dont expect to be perfect just try to enjoy.YOu will develoop your own little system what works. Good Luck!

Thread Information