Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do copper bracelets work for arthritis pain?

Grapefruit juice and grapefruits make people excrete a lot of meds much faster so it's not recommended with some meds.

Of course that might be why the person felt better, no more meds poisoning them! Or the vitamin C or something.
    Trees don't grow on money

rodeosweetheart,

Exactly! I remember those little six packs of grapefruit juice. My aunt and grandparents bought them. The juice always tasted like a tin can. I bet there's something to this. Something metallic.

Glad to hear that the copper bracelet worked for your husband. This thread is making me want to try one. I might wear it as an anklet! Interesting hearing about your dog's response, too. I give my dog Rescue Remedy and it calms her down. The effect is immediate.

I think a lot of it has to do with the patient, and how open and receptive they are. I've had great results using apple cider vinegar as a treatment for different problems, too.

CathyA, I think it's probably important to buy the grapefruit juice in a can. Something about it sitting in there for a long time puts a metallic taste into the juice.

CathyA-

I was addicted to oyster crackers and Animal Crackers, and I mean addicted..... But that's another characteristic of a wheat sensitivity. I made all our baked goods from scratch with freshly-milled wheat flour (and other grains/seeds/beans). I even teach bread making classes and classes on home milling. But I looked at it the same as if I had been diagnosed with diabetes and had to watch sugars, or any other food related challenge for a health issue, and thankfully I was up for the challenge. We don't do without, we do different, and even hubby has been a trooper and eats what I eat and he says he doesn't miss anything.

And someone smart said, being gluten-free is a lot like being pregnant - you either are, or you're not, unfortunately it can't be done half-way or part time. It took a year of being gluten-free before I saw some of my changes, like being able to walk barefoot without excruciating foot pain, and I no longer need to wear special (as in expensive) shoes. That was completely unexpected and a huge bonus. The rosacea on my face (often linked to wheat) is all but gone. All things doctors were more than happy to give me a prescription for, but never treat the problem. I wasn't pill deficient, I was sensitive to gluten.

It may also help to get a blood test for gluten intolerance or sensitivity. The problem is that there are 17 proteins in wheat and you could be sensitive to any one of them. The common blood test only tests for the most common one and skips the other 16. That's how an elimination diet can help.

BTW - If you happen to be on any blood pressure meds, you shouldn't consume grapefruit juice when taking them (just as a heads up). I suffered with migraines since I was 19-years old, and that's something else I haven't had since going gluten-free.

Trying a gluten free diet is one of those pretty simple and easy to try "treatments". With all the available products and the available fresh and simple real foods we have in our stores, I would try it before either giving in to pain or to expensive multiple medical treatments.

I know it is hard to give up our favorite carbs or to give up processed food, but when health is involved nothing should be off the table.

I doubt it's true you have to be either gluten free or not unless your celiac, because I have noticed I get some increased joint pain when I eat excessive amounts of wheat not just when I eat some wheat (however I do not have arthritis). If one is doing a test to see if gluten free helps then of course one would want to do a complete elimination while doing that test.

I get the relationship to food. For me it's sugar, could never give it up 100%. It's having a crutch, it's knowing one has a crutch than can modulate their moods basically. That's what it is to me. I'm not sure it doesn't help if I know it's something that isn't entirely good for me ...
    Trees don't grow on money

This thread got me thinking...when my hip was at its most painful was when I got too lazy to make my usual daily salads. I was just eating lots of quesadillas and sandwiches. I had also gotten hooked on Nacho Cheese Doritos, which I no longer buy. Earlier this afternoon I googled "Does garlic heal arthritis?" and "Does apple cider vinegar heal arthritis?" Turns out, for some people, yes! I always make a fresh salad dressing where I press a clove of fresh garlic into the wooden bowl, and coat the lettuce leaves with olive oil. I mix sea salt and raw apple cider vinegar into the spoon, then pour it over the salad. (I usually use baby greens, red pepper, carrots, avocado, half an apple, and sunflower seeds.) I add basil, tarragon, and dill. Little did I know, this was keeping me out of pain. I've had these salads daily since I was 17 years old. (That's over 30 years.) My ballet teacher taught me how to make them. Some people use apple cider vinegar in the bath and as a poultice, as well. I also noticed that I when I eat popcorn, it has sort of a miracle effect. I researched it, and other people say the same thing.

I get the whole relationship with food, too. I don't think I would enjoy living if I couldn't have a few treats. Here's hoping you don't have to go gluten free, Cathy! I think it's fantastic that people can do it, and are healing...I just would be very bummed without my daily cafe au lait, (mostly soy milk,) and a couple of homemade cookies...

There are substitutes for most glutenous foods, for when you absolutely must have that cracker or noodle. The bad part is that you mostly have to make them yourself. I didn't notice many immediate changes--although I could breathe better--but I do notice subtle ones, like the quality of my skin. I have cafe' lattes (cafe's latte?) most days, made with almond-coconut milk. Lately, it's been pumpkin spice with coconut/blueberry bread.

Try Zyflamend http://www.amazon.com/Zyflamend-By-N.../dp/B0009F3RW4

and Back On Track products http://www.amazon.com/Zyflamend-By-N.../dp/B0009F3RW4

I've been using BOT gloves and my hands aren't as affected by the weather anymore. I'm starting to get joint changes in my thumbs and pinkies, which are still tender to the touch, but aren't as stiff. Also have the lap blanket, which I'm sitting against right now because my back was a bit sore. Feels great!

I just started taking Zyflamend a month ago and although it's helping my shoulder pain a bit (RSI from doing massage), I think I feel better in general. Over 1000 reviews on Amazon can't be wrong. It hasn't bothered my stomach (and I never eat spicy food), but neither did the 15 Advil a day I was taking. A few months from now I should see more improvement.

Hyaluronic acid and MSM are supplements usually used on horses for joint pain. My 29 yr. old guy has some aches and pains but still loves working so they must be helping him. Acupuncture is another treatment that can help.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I can't take any NSAID. I used them a lot when I was younger, and they destroyed my GI tract.
    I can't take ASA either.
    CathyA, I'm curious as to how NSAID destroyed your GI tract? I've been on a prescription NSAID for years for my arthritis and as long as I eat before I take it I am fine.

Songbird, as with many things drugs of all kinds affect many negatively. I have three friends who were damanged by statins that are taken by millions without any problem. Another friend is so chemically fragile that anything, even aspirin, causes problems and her doctor has to carefully monitor her.

There would not be so many warnings on the bottle if they were perfectly safe. My hubby's doctor warned him about NSAIDs also.

Thread Information