Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A question

A question

What is your relationship to your thoughts?

We go out pretty regularly and we stopped fighting.

hi xmac, glad to see you here

so, do you ever take your thoughts out for dinner?

and if so, what do you expect in return?

Wow, I took last night to sleep on that one, and I'm glad I did. I like Xmac's answer so much better than mine.

But, to answer the question, my thoughts are like my older brother. A bit authoritative, a bit of a tease, a bit of a pain in the neck, a bit of a friend, a place where I go to get some feedback and advice, always "attached" to me in spirit and biology but not always "with" me physically.

I tend to lean on him WAY too much, so this year I'm going to try to only call him up when I want to.

I have been in an unfulfilling relationship for a long time. It isn't thoughts.... it is me. They want an exclusive relationship and I want to play the field. I will always love what attracted me in the first place. Perhaps one day we can be friends but for now I need my space. It was probably very insensitive and immature of me but I just didn't want an argument so I un-friended them Facebook this morning.

I test, evaluate and accept or reject them according to my beliefs and values. Then I may implement the desirable ones.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Let the silence suck up the truth

Peace

Sometimes I just want to beat the little devils over the head and make them go away!!!!

I just want them to go away. I've tried every Cognitive Behavioral trick in a number of books, but my thoughts won't leave me alone. Probably because someone from my (extended) family voices them at me all the time; then I have to defend my non-thoughts which are really my thoughts. Religion has been the only thing that somehow frees me from the thoughts that mock and torment me; and right now, I'm having a hard time with religion. Christmas ruined Christianity for me. It does every year. When my kids are raised, I'm going to Vermont and living on/off the land. Oh, wait--I can't, because I have aging relatives here! (see a thread someone just posted about caregiving on the Family forum; she is me.)

So, my thoughts and I have a very bad relationship.

For the most part, I like my thoughts and often learn from them. Even the not-so-good ones. (Of course, I realize that defining any thoughts as good or not-so-good is subjective, so those I call not-so-good are deemed so based on my own subjectivity. But since they are also my own thoughts, I'm okay with that!)

Thread Information