Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A question

Thinking. Believing that one can control it or that one is doing it is just another thought.
    In my experience there is only one way in which thinking occurs: thoughts show up.

I used to think that I'm doing it. Because I would ask questions of my mind, I thought I'm thinking. But what made me ask questions? A thought that showed up, as is the question itself. And when answers come to me I think I did it, but it was just a thought that showed up. If it didn't show up, I might have another thought, like I can't think right now. But it's always thoughts showing up. When I'm not asking questions, thoughts just show up, one connecting to another.

It is the theater of mind and I'm just sitting here watching the "show-ing up", immersed in the spectacle of pattern that I make into ups and downs, black and whites and every conceivable grey area.

That's the part I think we might be doing: the believing. And by believing the whole world is created with the word. "In the beginning there was the word". Nothing exists without the believed thought or word. The world is form, it is a formation: in-form-ation.

Oh my. The moment I read your question, the Straw Man from the musical version of The Wizard of Oz popped into my head... "... oh, the thoughts I'd be thinkin', I could be another Lincoln, if I only had a brain..."

The massage school I trained at was a bit New Age-y and we often did meditations and self-empowerment exercises. One meditation, which I'll never forget was called...rats! I forgot what it was called--maybe the Witness exercise? Anyway, you were led in a meditation where you let go of your thoughts until you were witnessing yourself, your 'true self', as just a being without thoughts. It was very eye opening for me, just noticing myself there, not having any thoughts or opinions or wondering what the heck I was supposed to be doing here with my eyes closed. Turns out that without thoughts, I'm just an empty shell.

Although I try hard to keep my thoughts positive, I can be such a Debbie Downer about things. Usually my thoughts are pretty funny and I sometimes laugh to myself but I can sure put myself in a depressed state pretty easily. I guess I have a love-hate relationship with my thoughts. My monkey mind is forever chattering away about this and that. Perhaps that's why that meditation was so special to me----my mind finally shut up!

Quote Originally Posted by Xmac View Post
    We go out pretty regularly and we stopped fighting.
    Just wanted to correct the above: Thoughts fight among themselves, I never had anything to do with it except wait to see who won.

What fascinates me is that people declutter their home to feel better but actually the real clutter is within... in their minds. It's all the thoughts that harass you and won't leave you alone.

This interview can help you understand the relationship you could have with your thoughts:

http://www.oprah.com/own-super-soul-...-the-Now-Video

Quote Originally Posted by pony mom View Post
    The massage school I trained at was a bit New Age-y and we often did meditations and self-empowerment exercises. One meditation, which I'll never forget was called...rats! I forgot what it was called--maybe the Witness exercise? Anyway, you were led in a meditation where you let go of your thoughts until you were witnessing yourself, your 'true self', as just a being without thoughts. It was very eye opening for me, just noticing myself there, not having any thoughts or opinions or wondering what the heck I was supposed to be doing here with my eyes closed. Turns out that without thoughts, I'm just an empty shell.

Although I try hard to keep my thoughts positive, I can be such a Debbie Downer about things. Usually my thoughts are pretty funny and I sometimes laugh to myself but I can sure put myself in a depressed state pretty easily. I guess I have a love-hate relationship with my thoughts. My monkey mind is forever chattering away about this and that. Perhaps that's why that meditation was so special to me----my mind finally shut up!
    the way i see it, without thoughts you are not just an empty shell, you are also the aware presence in which all your thoughts and your whole life arises

I have always wanted and still want an off switch for thoughts. They appear to be willful, disruptive little beasts.

In spite of that wish, they continue to chatter like monkeys. Sometimes, I can take economic advantage of their spontaneous erupting to spot business issues that need noticing.

Currently I am hoping that my insight meditation practice will continue to train my self awareness to less painfully endure the continuing thought storms.

"You are NOT the voice in the head."

~Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by chord_ata View Post
    I have always wanted and still want an off switch for thoughts. They appear to be willful, disruptive little beasts.

In spite of that wish, they continue to chatter like monkeys. Sometimes, I can take economic advantage of their spontaneous erupting to spot business issues that need noticing.

Currently I am hoping that my insight meditation practice will continue to train my self awareness to less painfully endure the continuing thought storms.
    in my own experience, there's no way to control or stop thinking, but there is one thing i can do i've noticed, i can be AWARE of my thoughts, which means i'm just the AWARE SPACE in which my thoughts arise, that's much different than me being completely lost in my thoughts, lost in IDENTIFICATION with them, when i do that, then i become my thoughts, or rather, my thoughts become me, and i believe them completely... this i've noticed can lead to a lot of suffering, especially when the thoughts are negative and limiting

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    i have to say that although I have a commited relationship with my thoughts we are not exclusive. It is an open relationship and I often see other thoughts freely but always it just enriches my relationship with my own thoughts.
    if you take your thoughts seriously, if you believe them, if you IDENTIFY with them, then that is being completely lost and involved with them

there is an alternative, a quantum leap out of the thinking mind, out of the thought stream and just being AWARE of your thoughts

this is also called "mindfulness"

Thread Information