Thinking. Believing that one can control it or that one is doing it is just another thought.
In my experience there is only one way in which thinking occurs: thoughts show up.

I used to think that I'm doing it. Because I would ask questions of my mind, I thought I'm thinking. But what made me ask questions? A thought that showed up, as is the question itself. And when answers come to me I think I did it, but it was just a thought that showed up. If it didn't show up, I might have another thought, like I can't think right now. But it's always thoughts showing up. When I'm not asking questions, thoughts just show up, one connecting to another.

It is the theater of mind and I'm just sitting here watching the "show-ing up", immersed in the spectacle of pattern that I make into ups and downs, black and whites and every conceivable grey area.

That's the part I think we might be doing: the believing. And by believing the whole world is created with the word. "In the beginning there was the word". Nothing exists without the believed thought or word. The world is form, it is a formation: in-form-ation.